Because there does not exist a single book that covers all the materials
we will cover in this class, we will use a combination of class notes,
class lecture slides, and books and other references. Here is a list
of those additional books and on-line resources that cover many of the
topics covered in CS 3200.
Please report broken links or new resources to
Computing with Matlab This book is a very nice overview of numerical
analysis with several examples using Matlab. The book is available
for free on-line. The Matlab codes used in the book are also available
- Scientific Computing: An Introductory Survey, Second Edition
by Michael T. Heath, published by McGraw-Hill, New York, 2002.
- Guide To Scientific Computing, Second Edition by Peter R. Turner,
published by CRC Press, 2000.
- Introduction to Computational Science: Modeling and Simulation
for the Sciences by Angela B. Shiflet and George Shiflet, Princeton
University Press, 2006.
- Scientific Computing with MATLAB by Alfio Quarteroni and Fausto
Saleri, Springer, 2003.
- MATLAB Guide by Desmond J. Higham and Nicholas J. Higham, SIAM
- Mastering MATLAB 7 by Duane C. Hanselman and Bruce L. Littlefield,
Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Octave - an
open source, freely available alternative to Matlab
The Visualization Handbook. edited by Charles Hansen and Chris
Johnson, Academic Press, 2004.
- Visualization Toolkit 4th Edition by Will Schroeder, Ken Martin
and Bill Lorenson, Kitware, 2006.
- The Nature of Mathematical Modeling by Neil Gershenfeld, Cambridge
University Press, 1998.
- Python Scripting for Computational Science by Hans Petter Langtangen,
- Python Essential Reference (3rd Edition) by David M. Beazley,
- SCIRun Software System:
A scientific problem solving environment for modeling, simulation
and visualization developed by the Scientific Computing and Imaging
Institute at the University of Utah.
to Scientific Computing Software collected by Michael Heath
Links to large integer arithmetic packages
- Parallel Scientific Computing in C++ and MPI: A Seamless Approach
to Parallel Algorithms and their Implementation by George Em Karniadakis
and Robert M. Kirby, Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Scientific Parallel Computing by L. Ridgway Scott, Terry Clark,
Babak Bagheri, Princeton University Press, 2005.
- Introduction to High-Performance Scientific Computing by Lloyd
D. Fosdick, Elizabeth R. Jessup, Carolyn J. C. Schauble, and Gitta
Domik, MIT Press, 1996.
General Mathematical Resources
Vector and Matrix Basics
1D Finite Difference Method (Heat Equation)
2D Finite Difference Method (Poisson's Equation)
Steepest Descent and Conjugate Gradient Method
Delaunay Triangulation and Voronoi Diagrams
Points Inside Triangles
Scalar Field Visualization
Vector Field Visualization