CS/ECE 7810 Assignment
This assignment requires you to run simulations with Simics and make
modifications to the memory system.
On the mailing list, a link to a google doc has been sent. The google
doc has all the details necessary to get your Simics workspace set up.
Consider the following problems and report your findings. Your report
is due Feb 24th 2014.
- How does performance change as you vary the high and low water marks
for the write drain? What if each write operation took much longer to
finish (as in a PCM device)?
- What do you observe as you change the number of banks, ranks, and
channels that are used?
- What is the difference in performance between an open-page and
- What is the difference in performance for different address mapping
- Which DRAM timing parameters have the biggest impact on system performance?
- How much does performance degrade when you increase tRFC? How much
does performance improve by using fine granularity refresh (if you assumed
no additional recovery overheads)? What if you did assume recovery