Thread Closed 
Week 12: Visualization Of Nobel Prizes By Country Since 1901
11-16-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Week 12: Visualization Of Nobel Prizes By Country Since 1901
Generally, I do not like this type of visualization, especially without interaction. Although, I think this particular visualization is good because there are a small amount of bins and a good array of colors. The colors are easily distinguishable and the size of bins is small so the lines do not have too much overlap to make the visualization confusing. I do think that there should be a list of what countries are considered "others" along with what this visualization defines as "organizations." I also think that interactivity could only add to this visualization, but I don't think that it is necessary for the visualization to be easily understood.
Find all posts by this user
11-16-2014, 11:08 PM
The biggest cons that I found in the vis were
1 its lack of interactivity
2 big other tab
3 for countries like Russia it's difficult to make out which categories they have won the award mostly.

It would have been nice if clicking on a country showed only the links that were coming out of that country.
The bottom chart is not good at highlighting who won more awards. They are showing more than one award in the same year with a broken horizontal line.
11-16-2014, 11:40 PM
This is an interesting piece of visualization and has been explained nicely by u0780582. Visually it is appealing but I feel it doesn't give complete information. The arrangement of countries and nobel prize category in the circle, the color selection and the width of the ribbon going from countries that indicate the number of winners in respective categories is clean and understandable. However if an interactive element was introduced like mouse hover on these ribbons to indicate the number of prizes won by a country in each category it would have been more useful.
11-16-2014, 11:50 PM
The visualization looks pretty common but impressive to me.

- The most impressive point of this visualization to me is the author aligned countries with subjects together on the same axis. Countries are aligned on the upper half of the image and subjects are aligned to the lower. The benefit of doing this is there will be only lines connecting the upper part and the lower part, making the visualization less messy.

- One downside intrinsic to this kind of visualization is thinner lines tend to be hard to read especially with semi-transparency. Viewers have to "manually" using their eyes to follow those tiny lines coming out of Netherlands to each subject.

- I totally agree with the opinion that interactivity will offer more information such as years and more details about "Others".
11-17-2014, 12:05 AM
This visualization chart could not see the small country clearly. And I don not think interaction is necessary, However, interaction will improve information represented on this chart. And Other category is not necessary for the char because you cannot know what the other means for.
11-17-2014, 12:54 AM
This is an interesting visualization but could have been better if few things would have been there.
1) It clearly lacks interactivity. There is a lot of scope for that. I was actually hovering around with my mouse to see if there is more information in the graph.
2) Very less informative. No information regarding the no of noble prize per category.
11-17-2014, 01:37 AM
The visualization is looking good and informative, but it is little difficult to get information about individual country by seeing the visualization at a glance. The color selection is good, but i felt it would have been much better if there is any interactivity in the visualization. As said by many here it looks like author is giving a general idea rather than gaining deep interaction with users.
11-17-2014, 09:04 AM
When i first see this visualization, i dont know what happened in it, it takes me few minutes to figure what happedn in there, but when i understand this visualization, i think it is a good one. The most important point is that, the colors it use are esay to distinguish, it can make readers easy to get imformation they want. And it only include important information, which is make thisvisualization much more clearly.
11-18-2014, 12:57 AM
I don't really like this vis for the reason that it is a very confusing visualization because it mix the country and nobel type into one map. And this kind of visualization has a weak point that it is hard to tell the exact percentage of the nobel distribution. For example, the Netherlands has a small percentage compare with other countries, and its circle is pretty small. So it is hard to see how many of them belongs to Physics or Economics.
11-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Generally, it's a good visualization to show the data of Nobel Laureates by a simply but clear way. The using of color channel is impressed. For the author use kinds of color hue, still in the range of human visual recognizability. That means, although there are 9 colors used to distinguish different countries, they are appropriate to show which country contribute how many people in which field.
But some aspects still could be improved. Some countries like Sweden, which occupies small probability of this chart, should be magnified to show details by some methods like navigation. Interactive functions are lacked that we can't get more further detailed information. If more data visualizations about "others" could be added, it's better.
Thread Closed