Thread Closed 
Week 12: Visualization Of Nobel Prizes By Country Since 1901
11-15-2014, 11:54 PM
RE: Week 12: Visualization Of Nobel Prizes By Country Since 1901
I'll go against the grain and suggest that interaction is not necessary. Judging by the title alone, I consider the goal of this visualization to be portraying the number of Nobel laureates by country of origin and the number of prizes awarded. Assuming that this alone is the overarching goal, I feel that this visualization effectively accomplishes this. On the contrary, interactivity could be used to portray trends such which country contributes the most to specific fields, as has been suggested.

Touching on mentions that the "Others" category is too large, I suspect this could be due to the number of distinguishable bins for hue. Remembering that Munzner mentions that hue is distinguishable to roughly 6 to 7 bins, we have 9 bins here. As such, maybe the decision to have such a large "Others" category was on the basis that it was difficult to incorporate more bins due to a combination of their hue being difficult to distinguish from others and/or there being so few prizes awarded that they'd be difficult to distinguish from others (especially considering that size and hue interfere with one another).
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Week 12: Visualization Of Nobel Prizes By Country Since 1901 - u0923385 - 11-15-2014 11:54 PM