Thread Closed 
Week 11: A small place to discover languages in GitHub
11-09-2014, 04:42 PM
RE: Week 11: A small place to discover languages in GitHub
Quote:Clicking on that quarter will further change the parallel coordinate view and show data for the particular quarter which is selected.
I agree being able to look at data from specific quarters is definitely a pro for this chart as it allows for a much more in depth analysis of the data.

Quote:2. For every quarter view of the parallel coordinates, the different language parameters are arranged in the decreasing order of their value. This allows the user to see the highest and lowest performing languages based on a certain parameter, in the chosen quarter.
Although I agree that this is a pro, it could also be considered a con by others. What they should have done was provided some sort of way to filter/organize the axes.

Quote:3. Hovering over the lines, bars, language name or year it appeared, will highlight the entire data line corresponding to that particular language and the values of different parameter corresponding to that language is also shown. This is a very important aspect of parallel coordinate system since it allows the user to figure out exact parameter values and how a particular language fares in different parameters by just tracing the fall/rise of the data lines along different parameter axes.
This is a pro and a con at the same time for this particular chart, as I notice that when you drag your cursor along the chart you can see data that is supposed to be hidden which you are not hovering over.

Quote:4. Clicking on the particular year at the right end of the parallel coordinate system will highlight the languages that appeared in that year and along with their data lines. This is again a very useful feature.
This is also good, but again I really think they should have implemented this a little better as all years clicked on have their data lines turn black. This makes it slightly hard to distinguish lines if you have many years highlighted at once.

Quote:5. The small multiple view is useful when a user wants to focus on the trend of any individual language. The individual language's active repo count is compared with average github active repo count with a blue line.
I personally didn't like the small multiple views, as I had a hard time determining what exactly the axes were.

Cons:

Quote:1. Although the parameter bars are arranged in decreasing order, a filter along each parameter and highlighting the languages and their data lines lying within the filter range would have made the visualization more effective.
I totally agree with this.

Quote:2. Encoding the data bars of the parallel coordinate axis with gradient hues would have made the visualization more interesting to look at.
Yes but this would have also made the chart harder to read.

Quote:3. Rather than using separate area charts for different languages, a single polar chart view representing all active repo count of different languages would have made the view more concise.
If by this you mean replace the small multiple views with one giant chart, then I would tend to agree with you. In reality though, I think that they should have completely removed the small multiple views as I did not find it all that helpful.

All in all, I love the way that they implemented parallel coordinates in this chart. In my opinion, this is one of the best implementation of parallel coordinates that I have seen to date. My only complaint is that I couldn't rearrange the axes.
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2014, 08:56 PM
This is quite an interesting visualization, which gives me a picture (and I have been curious to know this) of what languages are being used most in the community today. It is a smartly chosen visualization (parallel coordinates) for representing the data effectively. Few things that I liked about it are:
[1] The feature of selecting certain language by clicking, and dynamically selecting by hovering. This feature lets us easily compare a number of languages against one or two we are interested in.
[2] Small multiple plots that give more information on evolution of each language.

Few things I think that can be improved in the visualization:
[1] The numbers are not clear to me because of the the central alignment of the bars. Left/Right alignment might have helped.
[2] It's not clear what Q#/# means here.
11-09-2014, 09:28 PM
i like the visualization. i think parallel coordinates view and small multiple view is helpful for the users. and i also like context and focus that was provided by hovering over the small multiple views. But i think it need add the choose color for eachs. One color is hard to see the different.
11-09-2014, 09:52 PM
nice parallel coordinates. wish I have seen this vis before our assignment.

timeline control is very interesting, i love that part. The hint box is also very nice.

One suggestion is that, if some color legend is added, that would be better!
11-09-2014, 11:11 PM
This is a very interesting visualization, both informative and effective. I like the parallel coordinates visualization where I could click some value for each category and then that field would be highlighted. For example, by clicking the round dots in the last column "APPEAR IN YEAR" from bottom to top, I could see a history of all the languages, and apparently C is the oldest language in history. However I do find a flaw on this. For example, C++ appears in 1983 as well as Objective-C, however when clicking the round dot in 1983, only Objective-C is highlighted. Also, for the third view, small multiples for "TOP ACTIVE LANGUAGES", I also wonder whether it is better to have a big trend lines chart including all the languages. I think 29 languages is separable, and also having a big view of all these could let readers compare with all of them, instead of just between that language and the average.
11-10-2014, 12:09 AM
I like this visualization, I think the basic frame work of this visualization is parallel coordination but the author change the scale of the axis to another independent value and the the scale on the bottom of each dimension. The other thing that I like in this visualization is the time series, the author organize the time at the last column which show user when is the time that this language project appear in git hub project. At the bottom of the parallel coordination, the author also give each language an individual plot to show the detail information.

the only thing that I may question is that most of the information in this visualization is a little vague. for example the scale have two direction, the first time I see it, I don’t know how to understand this axis. the author give each data a accurate label which may kind of solve this problem.
11-10-2014, 01:13 AM
The visualization is very informative. It is represented using parallel coordinates, which is very useful as here we are comparing various languages for various constraints or attributes like number of pushes, forks etc. The feature of representing the number of the specific field upon the mouse hover is nice. They would have added interactive colors for various selections and color legend. If they have added features like inversion and axis replacement then it would have been much informative. The feature like activating comparison upon clicking any box is user friendly. The small visualization having number of repositories is also simple and useful to get an overall view.
Thread Closed