Thread Closed 
Week 10: At the National Conventions, the Words They Used
11-02-2014, 04:46 PM
RE: Week 10: At the National Conventions, the Words They Used
I agree with the author that the usage of different hues to represent categorical data makes the visualization clean and the size of the bubble based on the frequency of word used to highlight the important words used. I think all these properties make this vis straightforward and clean. And I am also a little confused about the animation part in this vis, which I can not see too much meaning. May be it is fun to play around with the animation as the author said, but it just need some patience of the viewers to get familiar with the system, which seems not very practical. Overall I agree this is a nice vis with all important information that is easy to get.
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2014, 05:06 PM
The use of colors to represent categorical data and the size of bubbles to represent the frequency of words is simple and effective. I like that on highlighting, the frequency of words and the context it is used by various speakers are displayed at the end. However, this is the only interactive part of the visualization that provides some meaning. I think the dragging feature is used for grouping the words. For example, I could not place the word 'Fight' next to 'small business'. But on what context these words are grouped is unclear.

Overall, this visualization is simple and fun to interact with.
11-02-2014, 06:34 PM
i think it is good visualization. the visualization only use two simple colors to show democrats and republicans. it is very easy to read the information. and i also think add word is is interesting interactive function. but I also agree with you that displaying unused words is unnecessary and clutters the visualization. in my opinion. i think it should add more filtering options to define the word. i think that should be better.
11-02-2014, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 07:19 PM by u0780582.)
very interesting visualization. The usage of colors is great, making the image looks nice and informative. I love the bubble, too. And also, the notation in it, which makes the image easy to read. Overall, i think the most advantages of this vis is interesting and simple. The interactivity is so good that i cannot stop playing with it.
11-02-2014, 08:10 PM
First, i see this visualization, i thought the bubbles can moved around by user, but i was wrong, and then i found the visualization is too crowed, especially, the left and right side of this visualization. But what i like, is that, first, it can add new word, this is really helpful, because it can interactive with user. Second, on each bubbble, the size presented the frequence of the usage of word, and the color means different kind of people, and with number, so it can clearly see the result. But on the left and righr side, the bubbles are crowed, i cannot even see which words for each bubble presented.
11-02-2014, 11:58 PM
It is a very simple yet fun visualization which is used to show how democrats and republicans focus on different topics, what are their common topics of discussion and what are the points each party tries to avoid.

The choice of the hues for representing two parties(categorical data) is very effective.
The divergent ordering of the bubbles based on their frequency of use by democrats and republicans is very well suited. Since it shows the topics frequently used by the democrats and republicans. For example, the democrats and republicans both bring up the names of their respective leaders Obama and Romney frequently in their discussion.
The words lying in the middle shows some common topics like family and jobs focussed by both the parties.

The size channel is again used very effectively and is used to convey how often a word is used overall by the parties at the national conventions.
11-03-2014, 12:13 AM
This is an interesting visualization. I agree with most people here that use of two distinct color makes the visualization informative and clutter free.Also the interactivity in this is really nice. Adding words and checking their usage is really a cool feature,though it end up crowding the visualization space. The functionality to remove undesired words would have been really helpful. I would like to mention that the visualization doesnt work in google chrome.
Thread Closed