Processing Library Usage
10-29-2014, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 11:39 PM by mcarter.)
Processing Library Usage
I started using the G4P GUI library for processing to add a slider to control data line transparency.

However, I got thinking about the library, and realized that it isn't in the Parallel Coordinates project sketch folder - it is installed globally (or at least per user) on the computer.

Can we assume that libraries like this will be installed on the grader's computers, or will we get dinged for the "10 pts: When unzipped, project runs without errors or modifications on our part" section of the rubric for using libraries the grader doesn't have installed?

If will be getting dinged for this, does anybody know of a way to include the library in the project sketch folder?

For anybody looking to do this, I figured out how.

If your project sketch folder is "/XYZ/", create a subfolder, "/XYZ/code/".

In this code folder, put the library's jar file. For G4P, mine became "/XYZ/code/G4P.jar". (Remove any folder structure around the jar file).

After doing this, and deleting the installed library from my sketchbook folder (where libraries are normally installed), everything was still working.

This is working for me for a library with a single jar file (G4P). I am not sure what would be required for a more complicated library with jars in different subfolders, lots of referenced includes, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2014, 09:18 AM
RE: Processing Library Usage
Yes, we do expect your code to work out of the box. As mentioned in another thread, we're willing install other modes (from the menu) in our environment - send us an email if you're doing this - but it's up to you to make sure that any additional libraries you use are inside your submitted project file.

In theory, you should be able to add 3rd party libraries to a "libraries" folder inside your sketch, but I've had mixed results with this...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply