Thread Closed 
Week 10: THE VOTING BLOCS OF NEW YORK CITY
10-29-2014, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 10:20 PM by Jyoti.)
Week 10: THE VOTING BLOCS OF NEW YORK CITY
Link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013...ing-blocs/

This visualization shows different blocs of voters in New York City that are likely to have the highest impact on 2013 Democratic primary elections.

According to the survey, there are 4 million voters staying in NYC. But, as per statistics from older elections, less than 800,000 Democrats and less than 80,000 Republicans are expected to vote. So, these voters are divided in different blocs and are shown using different colors in the map.

Things that I like about this visualization are:
- It uses map of New York city to demonstrate the population of voters belonging to different regions.
- It divides population of voters in different sets and uses different hues to represent each set of voters which makes it easy to understand and visually appealing.
- Size of the block varies depending upon the population of voters in that block/set.
- Interactivity is achieved through mouse rollover functionality which highlights all of the portions of the map that belongs to this particular block.
- I also liked the way details about different regions are provided. Once you start taking the tour, it gives all the details and information about that specific region.

Some of the things that I don't like about this visualization are:
- Though, size of the block represents population of voters in that particular region, actual number of voters n that region cannot be determined unless and until one starts to take tour using the arrow keys. Mouse rollover functionality could have been enhanced to represent number of voters along with highlighting of the region.
- Color coding is not appropriate. Some of the sets are represented with same color. Which makes it difficult to understand if a region belongs to one particular set or other. For example, at the bottom, green color is used to represent both "Central Brooklyn" and "West Indians". This makes it difficult to determine which portion belongs to which set unless one takes mouse over one of the portions. This could have been avoided using different hues for different sets.
- The title of the region should also get highlighted when mouse is over that region. Otherwise, it becomes hard to read that text.

Overall I like this visual representation of data. It makes it easy to understand the set of voters that can influence the voting decision. However, it has a room for certain above mentioned improvements.
Find all posts by this user
10-30-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Week 10: THE VOTING BLOCS OF NEW YORK CITY
This is a fun visualization! I like that there is some "visual clutter" showing landmarks from the voting districts. As someone who has been to NY, but doesn't know the actual districts very well, this helps contextualize the data for me.

I also think the visualization does a good job with focus+context. I like that when you hover over or click on a voting bloc (or scroll through them), that bloc is highlighted on the mini map, while other parts of the map are faded.

The labels are a little crowded in the smaller sections on the top, left of the map.

Overall, I think this is an effective visualization.
11-02-2014, 12:27 PM
This is a nice visualization. The use of map and labelling various regions on it is a great idea although when seen overall "before taking the tour", it looks a little crowded. When starting the tour, the mini-map provides with some extra information and the selected region gets highlighted in the original map. Even the mouse rollover functionality is provided although a lot of information is not provided with the roll over. I also like the sliding effect of the image at the bottom which changes according to the region of NY selected. Sets represented with same color makes it difficult to understand the contribution at the first place. I think the title of region "does" get highlighted although some sort of scaling would have been nice. A lot of text is provided and must be read to understand the visualization properly but overall its a good visualization.
11-02-2014, 05:20 PM
This is a very good interactive visualization over a map. I particularly liked a characteristic of the visualization where the district selected is highlighted and other districts are faded. One also has an option to 'Start the tour'. However it does not automatically slides through the states. One has to manually click the next button. The text over the map though is in a very good contrast to the background, it still does not appear properly. The text size and/or the text font could be chosen better. One also has an option to chose a district of interest without starting the tour. Overall, my opinion is that this visualization is an effective one.
11-03-2014, 12:22 AM
This visualization has a good design in that it gives both an overall map and
split maps per district.

The main drawbacks are: 1. The meaning of the district colors are not clearly
shown. Are they only used for separating districts or with other meanings?

2. How are the orders of the pages arraged? i.e. when the user flips pages, if
he does not click on the map directly but follow the "next" arrow, he seems to
be jumping from one district to another remote (not adjacent) one.

3. There is a bar chart in some district pages while not there in some others.
It is not convenient for a user to make comparisons given partial statistics.
11-03-2014, 12:36 AM
This is very detailed visualization and I felt the representation of blocs using map is very good idea. One can select any bloc in the map upon mouse click and it opens detailed descriptive frame for that bloc and the image at the bottom also changes with change in the bloc. The image sliding effect is looking appealing. Nevertheless, I felt upon mouse hover they would have represented number of voters in the map itself.

When we go to any specific bloc we can see its rank in the number of voters beside the name, but we lose track of other ranks like which is preceding and succeeding that bloc, i,e we can’t compare easily and we also don’t get any quick idea on total number of blocs. The respective rank based on number of voters or money raised would have been represented in the map for each bloc. The color selection is good but I don’t understand why they represented some blocs with same colors, they didn’t mention about color selection. There is lot of information to study for every bloc and it would have been represented better in small pictures and points effectively because in general it will be more interesting to study in that case.
Overall the visualization is effective and informative with detailed explanation of each bloc.
11-03-2014, 01:34 AM
I totally agree with other member that the visualization is is rally a detailed informative. I really liked the interactivity part like mouse roll over, the sliding window.
Few thing which I feel the graph missed was is the there is very less information on mouse rollover. The graph could have given more information on mouse roll over.
Also at many places the graph looks crowded. It is also not clear why there is bar chart for only some district. Color combination could have been better.
Overall the visualization is an effective one.
11-03-2014, 04:34 AM
Very informative piece of visualization. I liked the detailed break up of information for each of the voting areas of New York city. The mouse rollover is effective since that is the quickest ways for the user to know voting information of a particular bloc, if using an arrow key was the only option then it would have taken a long time to reach the bloc the user is interested in.
When the mouse is hovered over the Prime voters and Money Raised area same information gets displayed which is kind of redundant. This could have been improved by having it printed out in every page and then adding a reference to it near Prime Voters and Money Raised tabs.

Also one more thing I noticed, although I liked the animation shifting at the bottom, probably a symbolic representation of NewYork when each bloc was accessed... I could not make much sense of that. I didn't understand if its in some way related to the bloc we are analyzing. If it is..then how?

All in all a good visualization.
11-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I feel that this is a very good interactive visualization. You can see the details of a particular district by clicking on that one and effective color encoding is also used to show the details of a particular district. The user can interact and find out what he wants from this visualization, rather than forcing the entire data on the user.
Thread Closed