Thread Closed 
Week 9 : 512 Paths to the White House
10-28-2014, 08:54 AM
RE: Week 9 : 512 Paths to the White House
Several people questioned why only 9 states were included in the visualization. The visualization states that these are the most contested states. Most of the states reliably vote Republican or Democrat. Only a few are "swing states" that change from election to election. Some of these states also have a large number of electoral votes (a large impact in the overall outcome). By showing the most contested states, the visualization was focusing on the states that were not considered a "sure thing" by either side.
Find all posts by this user
10-28-2014, 11:20 AM
The visualization is trying to show the possible effect of the battleground states in the upcoming polls.
Things that I like about the visualization are
1. interactivity.
Theres lots of that throughout. There are links above that we can click to see paths if a particular state has been won by someone already.
2. The size and color encoding.
They have used the width of the arrows to show the importance of the states. They have used the size of the circle to represent the margins of victory. Then blue represents Obama and red represent Romney. There's also yellow color to show a tie. They also use color to show who has won which states as we go down a hypothetical path.
3. Labelling. They have used labels which appear only when hovered to make things clearer.

As per me the vis did an excellent job. I couldn't find anything bad in it.
10-28-2014, 05:36 PM
I have seen this piece of visualization before. I feel this is one of the best ways to visualize conditional changes.

Two things I like most in this visualization is the the diminishing width of the branches as we go down to indicate the increase in certainty about the electoral result.

The other thing is the path shrinking feature (somewhat like DOItree) where you can focus in some subtree.

As Ankit mentioned it would be better to have information on how the number of paths is calculated.
Thread Closed