Thread Closed 
Week 9: Most Fuel-Efficient Cars
10-26-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Week 9: Most Fuel-Efficient Cars
I really like the visualization. Few good things that I noticed about the visualization:
[1] Use of graphics such as car icon and balloons, which makes the visualization look more interesting.
[2] Use of multiple plots for each company, which very effectively tells us the trend of MPG (miles per gallon) for the company.
[3] Use of different colors for domestic and imported cars.

The visualization is very good, and there are not many things that I dislike about it other than:
[1] The stalled progress's MPG value is not shown.
Find all posts by this user
10-26-2014, 07:01 PM
i like the visualization. i think it is good visualization. first, the visualization give the car's icon on the line chart. it is very good for show the data.
second, it is use two color to do the different country's car. it is very to compare the Mpg on different country's car.
last, it list different small chart on the different band's car. it is very detail.
To summary, it is good visualization. !
10-26-2014, 07:26 PM
I think it is a effective visualization. The line graph gives us a general impression of the trend of CAFE standard and it is helpful to compare each company's MPG with CAFE in the small multiples. The color hue they used to differentiate domestic and imported cars is the same with small multiples below which makes it easier to understand. In the small multiples vis, I think the reason different companies have different CAFE standard is because, as said in the graph, government weights the standard to each company's mix of vehicles. And because different companies have their own CAFE standard, the author had to using small multiples to compare with their own CAFE instead of combining them together. One thing I like about the small multiples is that they use shaded area to show how much each company is above or below the standard. This makes the trend of their MPG comparing the CAFE more clear.
10-26-2014, 11:52 PM
I think the visualization is good for one purpose - seeing how the well are the car manufacturing companies meeting the CAFE requirements over a period of time. The first chart is encapsulating only the trend of CAFE over a time frame, which has been repeated (although not in much detail) in each of the graphs in the small multiples, therefore, could have been avoided all together.

Given the information that is being represented in the small multiples, it serves its function of seeing the performance of each manufacturer in isolation and not for comparing each other. Since there are 12 graphs in the small multiples, representing all of then in a single graph can cause a lot of clutter. Instead, a separate graph showing a plots of a few manufacturers with interesting relation between then could have been useful.

I really like the color pallet used in this visualization and also the use of bubbles in the first graph to show some interesting information about the plot.
10-27-2014, 01:07 AM
this is a very interesting visualization with big picture tell us the development of cars’ mpg in last 30 year and predict the expectation of the future. And the author also use multiple view to show the detail of each car companies’ information with the mpg.

I agree with the critique that the line chart will be the best way to show the trend of the cars’ mpg and I think the bubble in this chart play a pretty important role. The first bubble tell us the car company keep the old standard so the mpg of the car don’t have significant improve in last couple year. The second indicate that in the future 10 years. If the car industry follow the new rule then the total cars’ mpg will be improved to another level.

There is a vey interesting thing in this visualization. The big picture’s time schedule is different from the multiple view. we can see that the big picture’s time is from 1980 ~2025 but the small views’ time schedule is from 1980~2015. I think the author should do something about this, because some reader may bring the time schedule in the big picture into the small view which will cause misleading.
10-28-2014, 09:37 AM
This is a very informative and efficient vis to show the variance of car's mpg in the recent two decade years. It is easy to see the gradient and get the idea that how the different policies affect the car's fuel-efficient. For example, the mpg increased a lot after CAFE standards came out. But the thing is, the time axis is quite long. So it is hard to see how much exactly the mpg changed. I have to use my ruler to measure the exact mpg in different year.

The lines differ after 2010 in imported car and domestic car which confuse me why the author do this. If this is to compare the two kind of car, why it is only one line before 2010. The small charts with different brand car give us a lot of information. I really like this more specific vis which makes meaningful when I want to buy a car.
11-02-2014, 10:49 PM
I generally liked the visualization. I also think chart junk is a bit necessary for this visualization and gives a better feeling to it and also make eyes go along the lines. Small multiple views were also helpful for understanding difference between imported cars and domestic ones, although beside the trend not much information can be extracted from them. Also the values at the end of the lines were not visually appealing. I also don't understand why CAFE standard is different from each other if it is an standard!
Thread Closed