Thread Closed 
Week 7 - U.S. massive killing since 2006
10-12-2014, 11:52 PM
RE: Week 7 - U.S. massive killing since 2006
To me the visualization is very good. It seems to allow you to filter which is helpful. The fact that the states names are in gray is both good and bad. It doesn't distract the viewer from what they are really meant to see. If one wanted to see the name of the state however it seems a bit hard to read. For most people this is not a problem because we know where states are on the map as a general rule. Overall that is the only thing I see and it seems a bit silly to even bring it up as you can filter by location and also look at the data table below the map. This visualization conveys a message efficiently and allows the user to look at the data they wish to see.
Find all posts by this user
10-14-2014, 08:54 AM
The positives of this visualization is its interactivity, choice of color coding and alignment of map view to show the incident happened in which part of the United States. I agree with the critique that the use of symbols to represent the killings. When more than one attribute is selected, the overall murders were shown in the map, while the mode of killings remain undistinguishable. Maybe, using different color codings or different symbols would have solved this issue.
10-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Excellent critique by the author. Some of the points I would like to highlight about the visualization are as follows:
1) The background color is a bit disturbing. A light background would have made it more easier to view the state names.
2)The interactivity used in the visualization is really good.The pop ups make it more easier to have more information about a particular killing.
3)The filtering technique also makes it easier to focus on a particular type of killing
4) The zoom in and zoom out feature make it easier to focus on specific set of states or killing.
Thread Closed