Thread Closed 
Week 6: Mapping the Nation's Well-Being
10-05-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: Week 6: Mapping the Nation's Well-Being
Overcall, I like this visualization and agree with what preteep03 mentioned for the most parts. This visualization is very interactive, informative and friendly to viewers. The map and color hue are proper used especially for the hue. I think using one color is a good way in this case. Because viewers would know that dark yellow means higher percentage and light yellow means lower percentage at the beginning, they would apply this cognition to other maps. If the designer used different color hue for different maps then viewers need more time to figure out relationships between various color and various percentage. In addition, the zoom function effectively presents survey results of sub-areas in one state. The only part that I don't like is this visualization lacks information inside of each state, like what does the number stand for, the ranking works in a state or among the America. In general, this is a great visualization.
Find all posts by this user
10-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Mostly, i think this vis is great.

First, the author arrange the large amount of information in a very reasonable way, so i can get information in a reasonable way.
And also, author used color and map in a very good way.Last thing is that the zoom is very useful.

As lots of people have mentioned, more information is needed when it comes to district.

In general, it is a pretty good vis.
10-05-2014, 05:59 PM
The visualization has done a good job of mapping nation's well being w.r.t health, income/job
The map is interactive and we can select different attributes from the list provided on the left of the graph. There is also a zoom-in zoom out feature provided. We can also see the question that has been asked to the participants of the survey over mouse hovering for a particular attribute over a particular state.
The different shades of color representing percentage was a great idea indeed.
Yes, they should have provided the names of different counties within each state.
Overall, the graph was great!
10-05-2014, 08:44 PM
First of all, great critique by Prateep. Some of the points about the visualization are as follows:
1)The different attributes provided on the left of the visualization and the pop up over the various counties in a state describing the percentage of the people experiencing the attributes are some of the good points about the visualization.
2)I felt, a little more difference between the saturation levels of the colors would have been useful in discriminating the colors from one another.
3)The zoom in feature is really cool, as it helps to spot the really small states.
4)The name of the counties instead of "state"+"number" used in designating the counties would have been useful.
10-05-2014, 10:02 PM
To start, I think that the visualization does a very good job relaying a lot of information. It certainly kept my attention longer than most other visualizations I have looked at this semester. It was easy to get a high level knowledge of a lot of different statistics for a very diverse group of people.

Pros:
Outlining the areas with black really made it easy to see a given area. At first I thought the zoom feature was useless as I zoomed in over Wyoming but viewing some states back east really showed how it is useful.

Cons:
Not necessarily a con, and I realize a lot of people liked this but I didn't really care for the color. The bins were fairly easy to identify but the color just was a little bland. I also think a color that is more associated with health, like red, could have been a better fit. Just nit picking though.
10-05-2014, 10:31 PM
I really like the visualization. In my opinion the Visualization is comprehensive and succeeds in its objective. I agree to most of the critique. I like the color encoding and the idea of using different shades to convey the idea in the visualization. By a glance we can get a high level idea of that particular indicators. The different parameters on the left side as well as the composite Index are an effective way for the visualization to convey the message. I felt that the indicators used to determine the quality of life are extensive. I also liked the zoom and mouse roll over functionality.

In my opinion since this visualization is about 2010 results, sorted by Congressional districts, additional information might not be required. But an additional web link to those districts as suggested by the critique might have been helpful. There could have been a better color contrast when the index values were a little close.
10-05-2014, 10:35 PM
This is a very interesting visualization. I think that there is a lot of information to portray and the developers/designers do a good job of presenting the data.

One of the design choices I admired the most was the gradient color decision. The designers provided a legend in the upper right hand corner that was a gradient color over a range of values i.e. between 75% and 80% is color 1, 81% to 85% was color 2 etc.

When a state was selected I found the black outline highlighting effective in enlisting focus but maintaining context. Additionally the highlighting on mouse over gave good focus information regarding each state and congressional district.

I have to wonder however why the data was partitioned by congressional district. This seems to me to be a unique partitioning idea. May have subtler intentions...
10-05-2014, 11:44 PM
The visualization is informative and they used the space effectively by giving the list in the left side of map to represent the values for various categories. The transition of map for one category to other is very smooth and fast. The color selection is good and the use of map key in the top right corner is good as it shows the average range for specific color shade. Most of the states are again divided in to parts and index varied for internal parts depending on the people responses there, it is good illustration.

When we hover the mouse over the state it is showing the index value, state name and some text. The text is same as question and it is not much useful to represent again. They would have replaced that text with some information like name of that district as they just divided states using numbers and people may not know the district in that area by seeing numbers. As mentioned by varsha in the critique I have seen that in the case of Composite Index map the North Dakota and South Dakota states have same index but different colors, similarly in the case of Utah the internal districts have same index but they are in different colors which is confusing. As said by prateep03 there would have been a tab where we can compare values in different categories for various states which will be useful. Overall visualization is simple and represented well.
10-06-2014, 01:26 AM
An interesting and informative visualization. Prateep's critique is very efficient. I agree with most of his views.
I agree that the space has been utilized well. Having a map-key bar at the top is helpful, especially when we want to concentrate only on regions in particular key values. This for example will come in handy to analyze which regions might need measures to be taken in improvement of a particular condition. The zoom bar is great when we need to look into conditions in smaller regions.
Also, I liked the fact that there's a composite wellness index which gives a general overview of the well-being of people in a particular region.
When the mouse hovers over a certain state, the statement that appears is the question that was asked which is kind of ineffective since it is already provided at the top for each of the indicators already.
Though it has certain sections which could need a bit of tweaking all in all a nice piece of visualization.
10-06-2014, 10:38 AM
The visualization is quite effective as it covers almost all the aspects of life of a person to calculate the well being index.
Some of the good things about this visualization are--
1) Sampling error has been provided which will give an idea of how much the given results are varying from the actual results(calculated by considering the entire population)
2) Map view on the top right corner gives an overall idea of percentage of affirmative answers across the country.
3) The index given on the left provides statistics for different question asked about the well being.

However there are few things which I think ineffective are---
1) The mouse rollover will only provide the same question given at the top of visualization.This is kind of redundancy,instead the mouse rollover could have contained some other information about that state(probably a link to wiki page as suggested by Prateep).
2)The use of color encoding to represent the percentage of affirmative answers is not good as it is very hard to tell which state has got more affirmative percentage if these are neighbouring states and differ very small in affirmative percentage.
Thread Closed