Thread Closed 
Week 2: In Climbing the Income Ladder, Location Matters
09-07-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Week 2: In Climbing the Income Ladder, Location Matters
This choropleth map is an interesting visualization. I agree with Nicki and others on most of the points but mainly disagree with an idea of using vibrant colors. Actually i feel they deliberately wants to focus on the highest percentage and the lowest percentage that's the reason of using only two vibrant colors and rest are blend.
Also I feel the boundaries are undefined and pretty confusing.
I also feel there should be a separate visualization to depict why this change is happening (geographical factor,industrial revolution, etc). In NY article they have given mentioned just one point which does not give clear idea.
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2014, 05:07 PM
I find this as a great visualization example. I agree to the most of points Nicki said. The information shown while hovering to each state is quite helpful.
I think red and blue colors used are proper but other colors are quite confusing. Due to use of the gradient, those colors are not readily distinguishable. They should be replaced.
We can also show the colors and percentage in a gradient scale, according to the increasing or decreasing order of the percentage. I think that will be easy to interpret.
I also think that the name of the area should be mentioned whose data is not available (area represented in white).
09-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I think this visualization is important, especially for Americans because we live in "The Land of Opportunity." We can see how many people really can make their way up from the bottom.

I think using color makes the map easy to read, but I think using more shades of green rather than yellow could have helped differentiate regions on the map. It might not look as washed out, but it's still important to have the lowest and the highest values be the colors that stand out. I think using too many vibrant colors would distract the user from the data. I agree with Nicki that there should be a spectrum instead of a set color legend because many colors are on the map that are not on the legend.

The last two things that I think I would change are: adding the white regions to the legend so the user doesn't have to hover over the to see that there isn't data for it and adding more major cities to the map. It would make it more interesting for a larger group of people.
09-07-2014, 10:01 PM
I personally like this visualization sample because of the following reasons.

1. The color selection is excellent and easy on the eyes and gets the user attention to the area that the author wants to focus on.

2. The author has played with the intensity of color within a percentage range which is good because having more colors will result in a long list of legend on the left hand side.

3. Since it is interactive visualization a user would obviously hover over his area of interest. The white region which indicates "Data not found available" need not be included in the legend because the number of such regions are very less and once user hover over this region he gets the idea that data is not available. However the region name has not been specified in these regions.

Possible improvements could be adding the name of place with the maximum percentage(Gettysburg area with 34.8%) in the map. This area is very small and at first i mistook Willistion area to be the region with highest percentage.
09-07-2014, 11:50 PM
I love such visualizations where one represents measurements of statistical variables using a palette of colors because it makes searching and analyzing the underlying relations and patterns easier avoiding the number jungle.

Unlike a few others here, I think the colors are nicely chosen.

I feel having a color gradient with percentage marking in the legend would have helped users to know the approximate percentage without needing to hover on any particular area.

The interactive slider for income of parents allows us to have a lot more information in a very effective way. It also tells that how the mid-north part of united states changes very little in terms of income mobility than the rest. I think it's because of the kind and number of opportunities available in those areas.

The names of the regions are available in the 2nd visualization for the areas with no data.

And I think the definition of the bottom fifth can be understood from the income of parents slider.
09-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Reading the article, one of the major themes was how income mobility correlates with factors such as the number of two parent households, access to education, mixed income neighborhoods and so forth. It would have been nice to see a complimentary visualization that also gave a heat map of these factors (perhaps superimposed with the one linked about income, or juxtaposed side by side), and would have allowed the readers to see much more clearly how these statistics are related.
09-09-2014, 01:50 PM
I agree with you that it would be more effective to have a scale rather than five color, since when you hover over the regions you see numbers other than the five colors represent. I also agree that they should have marked more cities. I notice that they didn't mark any midwestern city despite the fact that it has the highest rate of climbing income ladder.
Thread Closed