Thread Closed 
Week 5 : A Map of Olympic Medals
09-28-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: Week 5 : A Map of Olympic Medals
This visualization combines both geographic view which gives a vivid description of where each country is and the ranking view from which viewers can easily compare the medal numbers of each country. I like such idea because views can easily tell the countries apart by a rough glance at the position in the geographic view and get the information they want. And if they want to compare different countries they can just go to ranking graph. And the idea of distinguish continent by different colors is also very effective. So overall I agree that this is an effective visualization.
Find all posts by this user
09-28-2014, 08:00 PM
This is a good visualization which effectively uses the size and color channels to show the Olympic medal won over the year by different countries.

The best feature for me was , the way when we switch from one tab to another, we can see the change in the medal tally of a country. This interpolation effect has made this visualization more easy to follow and compare the medals earned.

Many people have pointed out that there should have been a better method for depicting the gold,silver and bronze medals earned by a specific country. I would like to differ from their view because i feel already there are many circles for the country and adding further information in the visualization would make it cluttered and it might make it difficult to follow. We can easily see the medals earned by hovering over the country sphere, and it works fine for me. Keeping it simple is also the key.

In all i wouldn't like to change anything in this visualization.
09-28-2014, 11:42 PM
I think this chart can not see the medals change of each country clearly. the Europe is bigger than its actually size and we hard to find mid-east on the chart, this is because countries of Europe got more medals than countries of mid-east. However, it changes real geo position.
This chart is good and easy to know about the medals change. However, the accuracy of geographical information that they need to be improved, and I also don not think that pie chart should be use on ranking.
09-28-2014, 11:44 PM
A really nice piece of visualization. It is very informative and easy to understand. It makes extremely good use of the space provided.
I particularly liked the slider through which we can analyze how different countries have been performing over the years. Also find which of the countries have been consistently performing well over the century.
I also liked the fact that the size of the bubbles are consistent as we slide to different years and not changing relatively depending on the particular medals haul in a year.
For somebody wanting to analyze a country's performance in detail, they can do so by clicking on the country for a list of its medal winners and the events they won in. This is very again very informative & handy.

Very few drawbacks, one of them being in the Ranking view it becomes hard to distinguish which bubble is which country as the bubbles size becomes small. This is slightly better in the Geographical view since we can roughly guess which country a bubble is because of its position in the map.

All in all a very powerful visualization, with a lot of information packed in a small space.
09-29-2014, 11:24 AM
This is quite an interesting visualization. Few things that according to me work for this visualization are:
[1] Positioning the countries' circle according to their geo-location and coloring based on the continent.
[2] The click-on-a-country feature to get all the details, and hover-over feature to get a summary

Few things that I think didn't work very well for the visualization:
[1] Many circles left blank. The geo-location positioning helps a bit here (ie, if you are good in geography), but even that is not very accurate.
[2] Geo-location is less accurate. For example: in the year 2004 and year 2008, we see Netherlands and France exchanging their positions.
[3] Size of the circle: It is difficult to differentiate between close counts, and also the circle does not indicate the types of medals won; ie, the size of the circle only indicates the total number of medals won.
09-29-2014, 09:51 PM
I found this visualization quite interesting for the following pros and cons---

pros--

1) Information is presented both geographically and in a ranking format.The area channel encoding is used to represent the number of medals won by that country.Bigger the circle ,more the number of medals.Thus we can find very easily the countries having won maximum number of medals.

2)Information is also presented in a hierarchical manner.For example if we want to have to find the number of different types of model for different countries then we can hover the mouse over the circle for that particular country and get the information.
3)The detailed information about winners is also present for various fields like archery,badminton etc.
4)using 6 different colors to group countries in continents is a good idea.
5)We can also see the statistics for the past years just by moving the arrow on the year scale.

cons--
1)Many circles don't have name of countries on them thus making it hard to identify them.
2)Area encoding does not give a true sense of data count.
Thread Closed