Thread Closed 
Week 5: Subprime Auto Loans Lead to Virtual Repo Technology
09-25-2014, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 11:10 PM by u0480242.)
Week 5: Subprime Auto Loans Lead to Virtual Repo Technology
Image Source: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/m...ology&_r=0

Image:

[Image: 20subprime-blog480.png]

Description:

The data for this visualization comes from Equifax. This visualization shows the increase in Subprime auto loans (auto loans to those with credit scores under 640) during the years from 2006 to 2013.

The attributes of the visualization are year and total auto loan originations. The visual encoding channels are size and color. Color seems to only be used to add clarity between Subprime loan percentages and total loan origination amounts. On initial thought the bar chart seems to be a stacked bar chart but upon further analysis the visualization is actually two bar charts superimposed on each other with shared data. Most likely this data type came from a table structure.

I thought the visualization was easy on the eyes and well done. A slight critique however would be to use a better legend that was more apparent to the reader. When reading the article from the website the actual placement of the visualization title could be confused with a commentary box that highlights the article. Because of this the text in the center of the visualization ("total auto loan originations") could be confused for a title. Additionally the subprime label was in an usual place (off-center).
Find all posts by this user
09-27-2014, 03:41 PM
RE: Week 5: Subprime Auto Loans Lead to Virtual Repo Technology
Since, the data is not too complicated a simple bar graph to represent it seems to be a good choice. Using separate colors to highlight subprime percentage loans is a good idea as it clearly shows the increasing trend in subprime lending (as a percentage of total auto loans) in the last 5 years.

Instead of putting a label 'Subprime' on the highlighted bars using a separate legend would have been a much better choice.
09-27-2014, 09:14 PM
I think this is a pretty clear visualization. I agree that a better legend would improve the visualization. I also think that the placement of a lot of the text is awkward too.

An addition point I would critique is that the data is in dollar amounts, not number of loans. I think that this could be misleading. The visualization doesn't actually say whether the amount of loans has increased or the total dollar amount of the loans has increased.
09-27-2014, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 11:04 PM by ThatGuyCraig.)
Quote:A slight critique however would be to use a better legend that was more apparent to the reader. When reading the article from the website the actual placement of the visualization title could be confused with a commentary box that highlights the article. Because of this the text in the center of the visualization ("total auto loan originations") could be confused for a title. Additionally the subprime label was in an usual place (off-center).
I agree with you on this a 100%, the legend is not very apparent in this chart and should be separated from the data to make it clear as to what the legend is. In addition to this, I also think that the text for the x/y-axis values need to be slightly darker to make the axes stand out more. Aside from that, I believe this is probably the perfect way to display this sort of data. Although it's data/ink ratio is horrible, it illustrates the differences for the give data far better than a point chart, line chart, or a non-superimposed bar chart would.
09-28-2014, 07:58 PM
This is a very uncomplicated and effective bar graph. The only critique that everyone has already pointed out is the misplaced legend.
Another critique would the that "Subprime" is the percentage of the total amount to auto loans or the number of auto loans.
This isn't very clear and its mentioned in the graph.
Thread Closed