Thread Closed 
week 5: The Evacuation Zones Around the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant
09-25-2014, 08:29 PM
week 5: The Evacuation Zones Around the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant
The visualization presents the areas that were affected by radiation leak after the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Disaster in Japan

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/...-zone.html

This visualization is showing a number of things at the same time.
1. It is showing the severity with which different areas were affected by the radiation leak. The possible effects of radiations on humans.
2. It is trying to compare the evacuation zone radius recommended by the American government and the Japanese government.
3. It also shows the population density of the regions.

In my view the visualization did a very good job for the points one and three mentioned above. Using color encoding, extra information and graphs on the side, they were able to nicely indicate the affected regions and also the severity of radiation leak in those regions. They could have done a better job for point number two above. They could have compared evacuation zones suggested by different governments using some shading effect. Lastly they could have avoided some of the extra information on the side by displaying a popup while hovering on a particular region.
Find all posts by this user
09-27-2014, 04:06 PM
RE: week 5: The Evacuation Zones Around the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant
In my opinion this visualization is showing a lot of information without any clutter. It is showing strength of radiation at various regions, the effect of radiation on people in those regions and population in those regions. Also color saturation is used to denote population density.
All this information is easy to assimilate and the legend is informative.

The population density in the regions (0-19 miles radius) get occluded because of the evacuation zone marking.
Also, it is very difficult to differentiate between the first two color saturation levels denoting population density.

If it was necessary to have this as a static plot then this graph does a very good job. But if there was a scope to make this interactive then I would have allowed user to select the radius and look at different information interactively - like total population in that region, strength of radiation and its effect on people. This way it makes it easier to get the required information without having to look at the map and then at the legend.
09-28-2014, 11:56 AM
(09-27-2014 04:06 PM)MukteshKhole Wrote:  All this information is easy to assimilate and the legend is informative.

Agree. The legend is very informative. In general, a vis is used as supplemental material to an article. In this case, however, itself can make a strong enough statement. The designer also put some explanations into the vis, so the graph and words together make a visualization.

(09-27-2014 04:06 PM)MukteshKhole Wrote:  The population density in the regions (0-19 miles radius) get occluded because of the evacuation zone marking.
Also, it is very difficult to differentiate between the first two color saturation levels denoting population density.

I noticed this too. Personally I'm very curious about the population density at Fukushima area. However, I can't find any info about that on the graph. I think the evacuation zone recommended by Japanese goverment can be represent using lines instead of shading zone.
09-28-2014, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 12:28 PM by t.li.)
The scale of the map is nicely designed. It focuses on the area around nuclear plant and still gives audiences a good intuition of the plant's location in Japan (by showing near-around big cities). Paralleled information are given for each distance range, which is very expressive. I think this design works pretty good and several points worth discussion.

- The lower part of the bar chart doesn't make much sense since the exposure levels (from 75 to 10) all shrunk to an incomparable level. Audiences could not distinguish the difference without referring to the numbers on the left. If I were the author, I would choose to represent the exposure levels with ordered intensities rather than lengths.

- Another point is, as was mentioned by MukteshKhole, the population density is occluded by Japanese government recommended evacuation zones. I think this design is two-sided. The author could have chosen to use unsaturated colors which have higher capacity to accommodate population densities. However, doing so would make these zones less significant given the unsaturated background color. On the other hand, the population density in these zones are not so important, since the area is pretty close to accidental scene. All population in these area are severely influenced. I think the author chose to ignore population densities inside of 19-mile zone because the image is intended to compare USA recommended and Japanese recommended zones.
09-28-2014, 12:39 PM
The visualization is pretty much descriptive. I liked the color representation. The legends are very helpful and explains a lot of information.
I liked the distance from plants line and arc representation.
This visualization also shows population according to per square mile and it is represented by the colour gradient whic I found pretty nice. It also compares Japanes and American Evacuation zones recommendations.
I think that major work is done by the legend explanation rather than the graph.
The visualization would have been much more better if there had mouse hovering effect and information is shown on mouse events. It would have been more interactive.
09-28-2014, 03:23 PM
First, i want to say the visualization's design is good. and i think the color is much the per square mile. and different color give us enough the information.
In my opinion, i think the visualization should add some interaction part. for example , we can use the mouse to touch the map then it can give the point detail.
i think that shoud be better.
Thread Closed