Thread Closed 
Week 5: Visualizing ownership in the Soft Drink Industry
09-29-2014, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 09:19 AM by u0788158.)
RE: Week 5: Visualizing ownership in the Soft Drink Industry
I think this visualization is confusing. The level of detail shown might be readable as a large poster, but then it would be too large for easy scanning. The bubble format was probably chosen to symbolize bubbles in beverages, but this format does not lend itself to a static display of this much information. There is a lot of whitespace that serves only to separate bubbles visually without adding any information. Also, the area encoding channel is cluttered. Area is clearly used to encode the size of the parent company, but the colored bubbles seem to use area to differentiate hierarchical levels.
A better choice would have started with just the parent companies and adding other information with interaction or alternative views. For example, the bubbles could use area to encode market share and a bar chart view could show the number of products sold by the company. If showing the diversity was one of the goals, then a stacked bar chart could have been used with a similar color scheme as the current chart.
Ultimately, I think the visualization does a good job of showing the overview that three companies have the lion's share of the market with a wide variety of products. The drawback is that the details of those products simply become noise.
Find all posts by this user
09-29-2014, 05:58 PM
I agree that the visualization is too large. It would really benefit from the focus+context principle. I think that a magnification field would be particularly helpful. That is, have a magnification glass that you can move around the image in order to see details better, while still seeing the big picture. The way the zoom works now, you can only see a little bit of the image at a time.
09-30-2014, 09:21 AM
As the trend is going, I think that this visualization is very hard to read. When you can't see what the visualization is trying to show, the visualization becomes useless. I agree with hehe that interactivity would help this visualization especially if the highlighting would enlarge the bubbles. Without that, the visualization is very busy. Even the key is illegible so the user doesn't know what the different colors mean. The enlarge interactivity would make the key more useful.
09-30-2014, 09:50 AM
I really like this visualization at first glance for those colorful "flowers". But it also makes me confused what this graph means, and need to search for a little while getting those tiny words. I agree with hehe that this interactive visualization is too much information and hard to hold them in one single poster. What we can get is the portion of "Pepsi", "Coca Cola" and "Dr. Pepper Snapple group", nothing else. I was suppose that we can get more information after zooming in. However, this interactive visualization cannot semantically zoom in, which means we can't know more after size up. All in all, I think this visualization is more than a artistic chart, but a data visualization.
Thread Closed