Integrator.pde in time series homework
09-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Integrator.pde in time series homework
It seems the Integrator.pde provided with the zip file doesn't work. And if we follow the instruction from Ben Fry's book, we should go to this website
http://benfry.com/writing/series/Integrator.pde
to download the integrator.pde, and this is a totally different file from what we got. So should I use the one come from the zip file or the one downloaded from the web?
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2014, 05:22 PM
RE: Integrator.pde in time series homework
Thank you for bringing this up.
For the time series assignment & the interpolation section of the assignment (using the Integrator class), we just wanted to clarify a point of confusion from the book.
In the book, there is reference to an attraction variable, but you can ignore this attraction variable if you are using the provided Integrator class written by Miriah that we have provided for you.
The reason that Miriah rewrote the Integrator class is because the one that Ben Fry provides never actually comes to a steady state.
You are welcome to use Ben Fry's Integrator class, but be sure to document this in your write-up.

Here are the things you specifically need to change if you plan to use Integrator provided.

First, there is no attraction variable. Therefore, you can delete the line of code that sets the attraction variable to 0.1 on pg. 87.

Additionally, there is another line of code that tries to grab the interpolator's value on pg. 88. The Integrator class we provide does not have a variable called value, but, rather, value() is a method of the interpolator. As such, to get the value of the interpolator, you must add an open and closing parenthesis to this line of code. It should look like this:

float value = interpolators[row].value();
09-19-2014, 06:17 PM
(09-19-2014 05:22 PM)Hitesh Raju Wrote:  Thank you for bringing this up.
For the time series assignment & the interpolation section of the assignment (using the Integrator class), we just wanted to clarify a point of confusion from the book.
In the book, there is reference to an attraction variable, but you can ignore this attraction variable if you are using the provided Integrator class written by Miriah that we have provided for you.
The reason that Miriah rewrote the Integrator class is because the one that Ben Fry provides never actually comes to a steady state.
You are welcome to use Ben Fry's Integrator class, but be sure to document this in your write-up.

Here are the things you specifically need to change if you plan to use Integrator provided.

First, there is no attraction variable. Therefore, you can delete the line of code that sets the attraction variable to 0.1 on pg. 87.

Additionally, there is another line of code that tries to grab the interpolator's value on pg. 88. The Integrator class we provide does not have a variable called value, but, rather, value() is a method of the interpolator. As such, to get the value of the interpolator, you must add an open and closing parenthesis to this line of code. It should look like this:

float value = interpolators[row].value();

Thanks! I think I get it. For the interpolation part, how do you want us to show the result? Do we need to provide a figure with the interpolation data?
Somehow my interpolation data shows no difference than the original data, I think I need to look into that.
09-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Your interpolation would help while transitioning between the given data although the final output would look the same as we are not changing the original data.
Just follow the steps on assignment description and make sure your code runs as expected. Also do not forget to answer the questions asked on assignment description.
09-20-2014, 11:34 PM
(09-20-2014 11:16 AM)Hitesh Raju Wrote:  Your interpolation would help while transitioning between the given data although the final output would look the same as we are not changing the original data.
Just follow the steps on assignment description and make sure your code runs as expected. Also do not forget to answer the questions asked on assignment description.

Gotcha. Thanks.