Thread Closed 
Week 4 : Visualizing a century of meat consumption
09-21-2014, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 08:22 PM by shobhit6188.)
RE: Week 4 : Visualizing a century of meat consumption
The visualization is simple and easy to understand. I mostly agree with Shravanthi analysis.
It clearly depicts the changes in meat consumption through out the century.

Few of the things would have made the graph more interactive:
1) Better color combination
2) A small chart in addition to the the main graph depicting which color line is linked to what type of meat.
Find all posts by this user
09-21-2014, 08:40 PM
The visualization is easy to understand.
However, as specified by most of the people,
Color coding can definitely be improved. Use of different shades of same color makes it hard to differentiate as the colors used for pork, turkey and veal are almost similar.
Also, this visualization could have been better to understand if, the meaning of each color would have been specified in a separate legend rather than giving captions on each line.
There is a lot of information provided in that graph and at some point it becomes difficult to find so much of information at the same place and the graph seems congested.
09-23-2014, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 12:40 AM by sah403.)
Most of my views have already been mentioned by Shravanthi and others. Here goes my analysis:

The visualization is in an easily understandable format. The line graph has been very effective in conveying the required information.

However, I'm slightly disappointed with the color palettes used. The colors of the lines and the background should have been in contrast. Different hues that can be easily differentiated should have been used to indicate different kinds of meat. Including a legend in the visualization would have been very convenient to the viewers.
09-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Excellent choice of the graph by Sharvanthi. I agree with most of the points she stated.
Again, I would like to add the color combination could have been improved.
A legend representing what each line is associated with should have been added. It took me a while to read what each line represents.
Or, an interactive graph, where the hovering of the mouse on a particular line would have told us which meat it represents.
White background would have been a little better.
Highlighting major events like war, great depression, et al was a good idea.
09-28-2014, 11:58 PM
This chart is very easy to understand and read. each time line reflect and meat consumption of the U.S and the the reader easy to compare the data of each time line on the same time point. However, this chart did not reflects the population increase of the U.S. As we all know, with the economy and population increases, the consumption of meat must increase quickly.

Author also sets some milestone on this chart, but is this milestone really impacts the consumption of meat, we can not find the answer form this chart.
Thread Closed