Thread Closed 
Week 4: Top World cup players on Facebook, Day by day
09-17-2014, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 01:35 AM by sayan_dey.)
Week 4: Top World cup players on Facebook, Day by day
Source Visualization:[url= http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/...ualization Source[/url]

I took this visualization from New York Times. This visualization portrays the number of mentions on Facebook of soccer players during each day of the world cup.

The users can select each day of the world cup by the 2 arrow buttons provided on the top left side of the visualization. Also there is a drag bar provided, through which the users can drag the pointer to each day of the month during which the world cup was held and get an overview of the number of mentions on Facebook of soccer players. Also, there are 3 buttons at the bottom of the visualization for clustering/arranging the data according to Country/ Last name / Facebook mentions.

Some of the things I liked about this visualization are as follows:
1. The background used for this visualization is at par with the theme of the visualization. Thus it is pleasing to the eyes.
2. There are extra information provided by a few lines at the top left corner of the visualization.
3. The figures of the players used for representing the data pertaining to that player is good.
4. The size of the players is used as an encoding channel, for telling the users that this player has received the maximum number of mentions on Facebook for that day.
5. The use of pop up, when the users moves the pointer over any player is quite interesting.
6. The amount of information provided in a compact form within the pop up is quite good.
7. The users can see a chart which contains the percentage record of the number of mentions for the player from 8AM to 6PM. It also contains a one line summary telling the ranking of the number of mentions for the player and the percentage of the number of mentions.
8. The use of the “Facebook mentions” button allows the users to get the data in descending order, thus making it easier for them to find out the highest and the lowest.

Some of the things I did not like about the visualization are as follows:
1. Some of the days does not provide the extra information by a few lines.
2. The size of the players is used to represent the number of mentions got by the player on any given day. But the size is not consistent with the rank. For example: On July 9 both Messi and Ronaldo appeared in 0.14% of Facebook updates. But still Ronaldo is ranked 1 and Messi 2. I feel that instead of percentages, if the absolute data (i.e. the number of mentions) was used as a parameter then it would have been much better.
3. The pop up appears right on top of the player, thus making it hard for the users to see the other players. If the pop up would have appeared on the side of the visualization it would have been better.
4. Some of the players does not have an associated image on their model in the visualization. Thus making it hard for the users to identify the players.
5. It would have been better if there was a vertical axis containing the total number of Facebook mentions got by the player.
6. If we arrange the data by the last name, sometimes the visualization gets too cluttered at some places, thus making it difficult for the users to select a player to see the details.
7. Though I have mentioned that the use of the grass on the background is at par with the visualization, it increases the data ink ratio as it is not of utmost importance. Thus it can be avoided.

But, overall I feel that the visualization has been able to portray to the readers the ranking of the players according to the number of mentions on Facebook during each day of the World Cup.
Find all posts by this user
09-17-2014, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 02:29 PM by aedunn.)
RE: Week 4: Top World cup players on Facebook, Day by day
I totally agree that the stacking detracts from the visualization. I didn't even see David Villa tucked between Andres Iniesta and Iker Casillas until I really probed the vis. And even then I had trouble hovering over him for more info, since what looks like his arm is actually Iker's. It's even worse for the tiny people towards the bottom.
09-18-2014, 10:20 PM
I agree with sayan_dey’s point #6 in the second list “If we arrange the data by the last name, sometimes the visualization gets too cluttered at some places, thus making it difficult for the users to select a player to see the details.” An improvement that I would like to suggest is using bar chart to encode the number of mentions on Facebook instead of using the player’s size as an encoding channel, and using the player images (constant size images) as an interactive label on the x-axis.

Also some players who have small number of mentions on Facebook and thus their image is small in size can be hardly located in clustered charts, unless the chart is arranged using the “Facebook mentions” button.
09-19-2014, 01:12 PM
The way the visualization represented is really cool, and pretty interesting to my eyes. It is smooth, clear, and has ton of information about each player, with the option to organize the data (country, last name, or FB mentions). The visualization is strong and well done for the reason Sayan mentioned in his comment, but I noticed some of the issues such as the missing pictures of some players ( check Raul Albiol #7 June 25th), also each player is posing differently, where some of them appear bigger than the others even when they're in a lower rank. I guess it would be better if they all were pictures standing up, or just like the way they show them in an actual game, or Fifa the video game.
I think the way the creator of this visualization represented the players made a difference for many of us, and I think if that changed to a simple way, many of these negative views would be gone. Other than that, it's a great visualization.
09-20-2014, 12:34 AM
I really liked this piece of visualization. It's very interesting. I think that background and images used make it more pleasing.
1) We can order players according to their country, their last name or facebook mentions.
2) By hovering on the images, it tells us rank of the player according to facebook mentions and shows us a graph according to the time of mentions. I found it to be really cool.
3)We can also get the data of facebook mentions about a player on specific date.
4)I liked the concept of using images to show the visualization but as every player is in different positions and the size of images are used to show the percentage of facebook mentions, it is difficult to recognize players with less facebook mentions. Images are overlapped.
5)In some images, because of same color t-shirts, it becomes more difficult to recognize players.
09-20-2014, 01:47 PM
For me, i like the Top World Cup Players on Facebook visualization. i think it is very personate. and the visualization is very interesting for users.

But i also agree the author said It would have been better if there was a vertical axis containing the total number of Facebook mentions got by the player..

yes, if it will show the totoal number should better than the percentage.
09-21-2014, 07:42 PM
I disagree with you about the pop up graph concerning their level of interest to the viewer: The graphs in the pop ups show ranges from 0% to 10%, but the players' post appearance numbers are often less than .5%. It would have been useful to scale the graphs to the highest post appearance for the day. I didn't find looking at many mostly-flat lines interesting.

I agree with you that the sorting feature is useful as it quickly shows the players who are dominating post appearances. However, it is very difficult to make out the tiny player images. Perhaps that's the point; the players with tiny images are inconsequential in the eyes of the Facebook users.

I believe this visualization accomplishes its goal of showing which players were the most relevant to Facebook users in a way that is to be treated as a casual info toy.
09-21-2014, 10:17 PM
For me this is one of the better visualizations I have seen in recent times. The visualization was aesthetically pleasing and was also able to convey the targeted information properly.

I liked the following things in the visualization.
1. The use of player size to indicate popularity.
2. The hovering effect which shows further information through a popup.
3. The grouping of information by country, last names and popularity.

I agree with some of the dislikes that the have been mentioned above especially the cluttering of players and the popup blocking the other players. The other thing that I didn't like about the visualization was the graph in the popup. It's hard to determine what the percentage values on the y axis are about. The information that is displayed on the top left or right of the visualization could have been highlighted slightly. I completely ignored that info at first. Only after looking at the visualization from a critique point of view I was able to notice that.
09-21-2014, 10:45 PM
I generally liked this visualization and I think it is very interactive and good looking.
On some dates cluttering of players happen but mostly user can still hover on the correct figure. Some figures are missing which I think is really negative point for this interactive visualization as it destroys joy of playing with it.
Another issue was the pop up which on bigger player's figure totally block it. I think the best approach could be to have pop up showing on different positions so not to block the main figure.
Also I would liked to have a better image of smaller figures somehow. For example is shown also in popup or maybe when selecting/hovering it zooms. It doesn't add any information to figure but makes it more attractive.
Also graphs in pop ups are not that good and hard to read and determine the percentage.
09-21-2014, 10:54 PM
Yes, the stacking is a horrible way to represent the number of mentions. It would have been much better to use the horizontal space as a way to separate the players. For example, the number of mentions could be arranged ascending from least number of mentions to the most.

I also agree that ink is not effectively used in this visualization. In fact, the colors mix quite a bit. This makes it difficult to separate the small players from one another.

The only way this visualization succeeds is in the interactivity. Having a graph pop up when mousing over a player, is an interesting feature. However, this is minimized for smaller players because it is difficult to find specific players, due to overlap.
Thread Closed