A question regarding data wrangling for "Data Exploration" project
09-12-2014, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 11:19 PM by lzhang.)
A question regarding data wrangling for "Data Exploration" project
As Alex indicated in class, the two datasets provided are well formatted, and there is little need to be done (for example, like what Alex did for the google location data) in order to use them in Tableau. If we use one of the two provided datasets, how will we be graded for part of the 15 points on "description of any necessary data wrangling"?

Another question is for the graphs to be included. Except the final image(s), do we include screen shots (including Tableau) or do we export the images generated by Tableau?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2014, 11:32 PM
RE: A question regarding data wrangling for "Data Exploration" project
15 points are for Initial question and description of any necessary data wrangling. If you had to wrangle data just make a note of it in the Digital note book. If you used the data directly and that gave you appropriate answer then I would ask you to focus on initial question.
Since I was not there in the class I am not aware of what Alex indicated in class so maybe we can wait for Alex to clarify it. Hope this helps for now.
09-13-2014, 09:41 AM
RE: A question regarding data wrangling for "Data Exploration" project
Yes, if you use one of the class datasets, or a dataset that doesn't really require any data wrangling, just make a little note (one sentence is fine) of that in the assignment - that you didn't have to do anything special.

Including the note may seem a little mundane, but this is actually very important in data science when it comes to being able to replicate your work; we call this data provenance. It's far too common – even in academia – that people publish how they collected data, and what the results were, but don't mention how they got from the data to the results.