Thread Closed 
Week 4: Ebola Virus Rapidly Spreading in West Africa
09-21-2014, 11:45 PM
RE: Week 4: Ebola Virus Rapidly Spreading in West Africa
I think the way this visualization is setup is somewhat confusing. The data is sort of crammed into one spot in the background and it’s not clear which country the data is pointing to as you see the data just seems to be in a random spot like sierra leone and liberia which look like they’re in the atlantic ocean. The way the data is represented catches the eye but I don’t think it’s the best way to represent it as the ratio of cases to deaths is not encoded very well with the size of the two circles as is the size of the data compared to other countries. In addition their might be a little too much chart junk as with all the other countries greyed out with their names that have no relevance to the data. Overall there are better ways to encode this data and get it across in a less confusing manner.
Find all posts by this user
09-21-2014, 11:53 PM
First I would like to appreciate jdawson for a fantastic critique, I completely agree with the post what he/she has critiqued.

The graph is completely appealing and perfect to some extent but the problem with the viz is that it should portray the actual data of deaths in the bar provided either with numbers or as a percentage of total data.

The color of the bar chart should be more eye catching and appealing.

The critique's decision to use other forms of graph along with x,y coordinate is perfect and really appreciated.
09-21-2014, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 12:00 AM by u0780582.)
It is not good. It does not show the spread speed.

The location of circles also confuse me a lot.

I do not really like it, but it is the style is pretty interesting.

There are lots of unnecessary material.
09-22-2014, 01:43 AM
The visualization didn’t justify the title well and it would have been done better. They would have used animation in such a way that one can notice the number of deaths and cases in various countries in Africa in increasing order year by year. In this visualization they used circles to represent cases and deaths, one would have understood easily if they use bar charts to show the difference. They can also show the percentage of number of deaths in number of cases so that in specific area we can know how many people are surviving.
As said by jdawson in the critique, I noticed there is difference illusion in the circles of Guinea and Sierra Leone countries. The difference between cases and deaths is represented wrongly. The dot in the Senegal country is very hard to notice. They would have represented countries in X axis in graph and plotted the cases and deaths in the increasing order in countries so that one can see the number as well as the rising scenario. In the main visualization page the Effects on Humans Visualization would have been represented better with animation.
09-22-2014, 08:23 AM
I agree that the colors were very effectively used for this visualization. However when examining the "dot" in senegal the colors posed an issue due to size. I agree that this was not an effective visualization according to the purpose of the image. It was intended to show the "spread" of the ebola outbreak but only ended up showing the data as of a certain date.

I agree and believe that in order to make this visualization effective a temporal aspect needs to be added in. Seeing an animated representation of the spread of ebola would have been much more effective.

Overall I agree with the original comments on this visualization.
09-22-2014, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 10:24 AM by raghvendra.)
I would say that this visualization is not an effective way to communicate the idea of Ebola outbreak in Africa because of the following reasons--
1) The title is quite misleading as it says "Ebola Virus Rapidly Spreading in West Africa" whereas there is no sign of showcase of outbreak in a timely fashion.
2)The representation of water using pattern fill could have been removed.
3)The representation of area to communicate the cases and deaths in a region is not good as it creates the relative difference illusion because the circle representing deaths in SIERRA LEONE looks very similar in size to the circle representing deaths in GUINEA.However in GUINEA the number of deaths are more than the deaths in SIERRA LEONE.
4)Also representation using area channels can sometime makes very hard to detect the regions where the cases are very less.

Nonetheless there are some good points about this visualization--
1)The use of blue and black color to represent outbreak Areas and effect on humans respectively is a good thing as it gives a very good pop up effect.
2)The rectangular window lying on the top of map of Africa, showing the region of outbreak gives a holistic view of part of affected Africa.

Considering all these points,I would say that overall this design critique is very well explained.
09-22-2014, 11:30 AM
I agree that the the stacked area creates an illusion of the sizes. We tend to compare the number of deaths reported than the total number of cases as the data representing the goal number of deaths is mentioned inside the circle. If the number has to be mentioned outside the circle, then the illusion may not be too obvious.
Thread Closed