Thread Closed 
Week 3: Migration Flows Between World Regions
09-14-2014, 11:11 PM
RE: Week 3: Migration Flows Between World Regions
The visualization shows a pattern of migration between various world regions even though the details are really confusing. Same shades of color and overlapping makes it hard to distinguish between different areas. I think that the numbers represent areas within the region as the lines moving into the same region might indicate people moving to various areas within the same region. Also, I did not understand why there is a different shade of color from central america to North America.
Find all posts by this user
09-21-2014, 10:44 AM
RE: Week 3: Migration Flows Between World Regions
I think this visualization is aim to show us the main area of migration in the world. We can tell that South Asia, Western Asia, North America, Sub-saharan Africa are the main area. But still, because of no order, it's hard to tell at first glance.

The colors are useless to show any information except to distinguish different area. I think the author can use different degree of color to represent the number of migration. And also, using the belt lines is really hard to tell either emigration or immigration. Maybe belt arrow would be good.

I totally agree with allywarner that this visualization is really hard to read. Few information gives us. Maybe the simple bars can be more effective than this circle chart.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed