Thread Closed 
Week 3: PCs: Not Dead Yet
09-14-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: Week 3: PCs: Not Dead Yet
What seems right: The information box overlays are a nice touch. The overall quality is very nice. If the 3D effect had been done better, it would make a catchy visual. The chart contains all the information we need to fully understand what it wants to convey, although it may take a little bit of study to figure everything out. There isn't a "missing context" situation.

What seems wrong: The quasi-3D effect is confusing. It took several minutes of concerted effort to figure out the horizontal bars. It was quite confusing with the purple color on top of the horizontal bars. The purple gradient is supposed to indicate the walls of the bars, but it lacks a true 3D effect. For that we would need some reflection, some way to make a better distinction. In short, it lacks the visual queues that people use to help in 3D perspective so it ends ups being confusing. There seems to be a consensus that the yellow bar color should be at least a two-tone alternating pattern. As it is, it is difficult to connect the worldwide sales value with the quarter. When tracing back it is too easy to cross over neighboring bars. Perhaps if the quarter labels were repeated for the worldwide sales bars it would have been clearer.

In summary, this visualization represents 2 bar charts, placed at 90 degrees to each other in an attempt to 3-dimensionalize them. It is not very intuitive, has color problems, so it definitely could be improved. As others have said, having two bar charts or line charts either separate or overlaid would be simpler and more intuitive.
Find all posts by this user
09-14-2014, 10:52 PM
I agree with your critique and much of what is in the other replies. I felt that overall, the visualization was very hard to understand. I had a hard time reading the text, and I also thought the 3D was overkill. I didn't even realize there were reference lines until I read it in your critique. I liked the bubbles that explained the chart, but I feel like they could have been more helpful. I do agree that the color choice was terrible and they should have found a better way to represent the 3D aspect.
I think the idea of a 3D graph is a good one, but it wasn't executed well here. Overall, I feel that this visualization is ineffective in communicating the data.
09-14-2014, 10:54 PM
I somewhat like the design although it really has some vital disadvantages. It has fancy color, sufficient note and original design, but I think these are the disadvantages instead actually. The first time I saw it, I did not really know what the graph wants to express not cause of the axle title on the left top. After I checked it carefully, I realized that this is 3D design which is quite spark to me since I have not read lots of designs have such 3D scale. In the vis, it is hard for readers to what it is talking about at first, at least for me. Pretty hard to find all the axle title, and also hard to integrate all the information in the picture, but I think it will definitely change if I read the background data and article. For the color the author used, I think it is too bright for me. Also, this combination of color does not make feel comfortable, but it really entices me definitely. It is hard to say this is bad, but no good opinions. And as for the notation, I like it.

Generally, this is a adorable design. It is so interesting that I really want to spend time on it and see what will happen. But as for showing all the data gracefully, I think a better solution is simply divide this vis to several different chart.
09-14-2014, 11:04 PM
As far as telling us that the pc sales aren't dead the visualization was successful. On the other hand the visualization was not successful in making it easy for the reader to understand it. I too strongly agree that it was not required to show the actual sales. A simple line chart showing the percentage change would have sufficed. But if we assume that showing both data is necessary then I liked some things in the visualization. I like the transaparency, 3d and the shading effects in the bars. As far as the color combination is concerned there should have been a stronger difference between the vertical and the horizontal bars. The bubbles for explaining the sudden rise and fall in the graphs was nice.
Thread Closed