Thread Closed 
Week 16: Pain at the Pump
12-15-2014, 12:29 AM
RE: Week 16: Pain at the Pump
I liked the critique. The visualization looks complex at first sight.
It is informative to an extent in knowing difference gasoline price rank between countries in different continents.
I too felt the same problem that more than two countries cannot be compared using this visualization.
Swappable axes and interactive widgets would have increased the interactivity of the visualization.
Find all posts by this user
12-15-2014, 12:40 AM
This is a good Visualization that makes use of Parallel Coordinates technique. The color contrast in the visualization is very good. Each country is represented with a horizontal line and encoded with a color. It is good that color was used to categorize the countries based on the continents to which it belongs.

As already mentioned by the reviewer it would have been better if there was an option to filter the axis. As we have just three attributes, I don't really think that it is required to implement axes re-ordering.

One major disadvantage about this visualization is that I couldn't see the whole visualization at once. I have to scroll the page in order to select a country from the left/right arrows. I feel that anyone with screen aspect ratio 4:3 (approximately) would face the same issue.
[/quote]
12-15-2014, 12:53 AM
This is a great use of parallel coordinates. The interactive features are nice, though a bit slow. It would be nice if you could invert or rearrange the axis. Filtering the data would be nice as well. I think the critique was good and said just everything there is to be said about the visualization.
12-15-2014, 02:58 AM
I liked your critique of this visualization. I agree that the visualization needs more interactivity. I was also confused at first with how there was a single line. I didn't realize that was the country that I was on. Then when I rolled over I could then compare that to something else. I thought it could have more lines for the different countries. I also thought that it was hard to know what country was selected. It wasn't as intuitive as I found out.
12-15-2014, 01:35 PM
This visualization is quite effective as the data is 3 dimensional.Parallel coordinates is a good technique to use.

There are however some pros and cons:

Pros:
1)Easy to get the correlation between the attributes.
2)We can click on the map given on the bottom left to apply filter on the parallel coordinates.This helps in visualizing a particular region in the map.
3)Each coordinate has been given a rank.
40A description about fuel prices is given for every country.

Cons:
1)We cannot invert any axis in the parallel coordinates.
2)Also we cannot drag the axis to compare one axis with the other.
3)A better filtering mechanism is required to select a particular country in the visualization.
4)Only the min and max values for each axis are given.There should be values in between also to make more accurate decisions.

Overall this visualization was effective in fulfilling the purpose of the subject.
12-15-2014, 05:49 PM
This is really an awesome visualization. The author give us three different value to show us who the gas price affect people’s life around the word . The interesting par for this one is that this is a evolved parallel coordination.

I think this visualization use really amazing interactive skill. use can use the the bar on the left top to choose the country he want, and pick the region to show the result in that region. The other thing that I really like is the rank which can use show on the top of the vis. I think those number tell use that what does gas price $3.74 mean.

The thing that I may have trouble is that it’s not easy to compare those value in different country. if I want to compare those between China and U.S. I need to use some thing to recorder he result and then compare them.
12-16-2014, 12:00 AM
The visualization does a neat job of what it intended to do. With three attributes for comparison or for showing correlation, I feel this visualization justifies the use of parallel coordinates. While it provides fine details about the price, unaffordability as well as the income spent, I also found the information on the left of the visualization giving more context about the data.

Like all the others who have mentioned above, comparison of prices among countries cannot be done with this visualization. Although it shows/allows us to compare the price in a specific country to a particular region, comparison of prices across countries would have made it even more useful. All in all a neat visualization which could do even better with more interactivity.
12-16-2014, 09:45 AM
This is an interesting viz which clusters countries with Gas price Ranking based on the geographical regions. The select a country option is available when you click on the country field and you can also choose the currency and the view the gas price and affordability ranking of that country. Agree that inversion of the axes and dragging the axes would bring on more interactivity to the viz. Parallel coordinate representation for comparison is great.
Thread Closed