Thread Closed 
Week 16: Pain at the Pump
12-14-2014, 08:44 PM
RE: Week 16: Pain at the Pump
I think this visualization has done a decent job. One disadvantage that I can point out is the inability to select by country, but then again selection by continent also narrows down the search. The color and appearance of this visualization is attractive. The mouse roll-over feature conveys the extra information that is required. The parallel co-ordinates lacks certain features.

Overall, I feel this is an effective visualization.
Find all posts by this user
12-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Quote:Likes:
-> Very Informative.
-> Liked that you can switch between currencies.
-> Color switches to white on selection or mouse rollover.
-> Values and ranking show up on mouse rollover.
-> On highlighting a region, values for countries which are not in that region turn grey.
I agree with all of these observations, and would like to also add that I love the simplicity of this visualization and believe it is the perfect example of more not necessarily being better.

Quote:I think the visualization would be even better if more interactivity options were added like dragging the axes and filtering option would have also been handy.
I don't really feel like that is necessary with this visualization, as it only has three axes. Filtering/axis inversion might be nice, but might feel out of place due to the simplicity of the visualization.

Quote:Also option to select multiple countries would make comparison easier.
Agreed, but at the same time, I think if the visualization had the ability to select multiple countries it would be much harder to read.

Quote:I would say this is an informative and clean visualization but there's certainly room for slight improvement which can help make the user-experience better.
It might just be me, but I think this visualization was very good as it largely solved one of the worst things about parallel coordinates which is clutter. Adding any more features would just create excess clutter, and detract from one of the best features of this visualization, it's simplicity.
12-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I really liked this visualization.

Pros:
1. It is very clean visualization and provides elaborate comparison between people across different countries and impact gas prices have on their economy.

2. The drop down menu helps users easily navigate between different currencies while comparing the gas prices

3. I really like the part where I could click on any of the bar in the column and the content on the left automatically changed to appropriate country.

Possible Improvements:

Selecting multiple regions for filtering between multiple regions could have boosted this visualization .
12-14-2014, 10:34 PM
I like this visualization and it seems like another version of parallel coordinates. It has three parallel axes and we can see the correlation between those three attributes for each country by mouse rollover. It also has a kind of cluster. We just select the highlight region in the bottom left corner and the data will be shown in different colors based on the location.
One thing I don't like is that we need to hover mouse in specific data to see the correlations, so we cannot have a overview about all data in those three attributes. Another thing is that the detailed information is shown above the graph which makes it hard to select the data covered by that information area.
12-14-2014, 10:50 PM
This is a very interesting and informative visualization.It is successfull in showing a lot of data which does not intimidate the user Being a parallel coordinate visualization the interactive elements are nice and thoughtful . We can highlight a single country and select clusters. Navigations are also provided for users to switch between countries, time, and units. However I like many other found the lack of country selection a drawback.
Overall a really nice visualization
12-14-2014, 10:58 PM
This is a very nice and informative piece of visualization and it is excellently critiqued by Padmashree. This gives an idea about the fuel prices in different regions. It mainly uses the technique of parallel coordinates where three parameters are price, unaffordability and income spent. I really like the interactivity used in the visualization and the focus on an individual region by clicking on it in the map is quite nicely done.
I agree with Padmashree that the color encoding makes the comparision easier when you want to compare only within a particular region/continent. However I also feel that more interactivity could have been added and comparing between multiple regions could have made it a more flexible design.
12-14-2014, 11:02 PM
This is a very interesting and different visualization and I agree with the critique. I liked the use of parallel coordinates and it is interesting to see parallel coordinates show up in a visualization and provide great deal of information. I agree that the visualization lacks interactivity, but it compensates the fact by giving options to choose countries and different currencies. I think, with the presence of only three axis, not much interactivity is needed as dragging the axes does not make too much of a difference and filtering the axis is done by highlighting. Overall, I think this is a very effective visualization of parallel coordinates.
12-14-2014, 11:24 PM
At first I though it's hard to choose a country, since hovering over the lines and hoping you could find the country you want is kind of hard, but then I saw that I could change the country from the top left " I honestly thought United States unchangeable". The world map down left is awesome, since it gives a quick vision to compare regions, and the colors added to the countries also help comparing the countries that are far apart from each other. I like how there's an option to see the prcies in a different currency, since gas price is an international issue.
Overall, I like the visualization and I think its serve it's purpose in a good way.
12-15-2014, 12:18 AM
The visualization is pretty objective by presenting unit gas price, unaffordability, and income spent on gas annually. The parallel coordinates showed very interesting phenomena, such as Pakistan's gasoline price is the toppest unaffordable though the price is median, and people opt to use CNG of lower price and thus the annual spent on gas is not so high.

The interactivity is well-designed. Viewers are able to switch countries by clicking on horizontal bars or country menu. Selecting a country tells a story which is pretty attractive. The filtering function is acchieved by clicking on worldmap. This makes those bars more readable.

As is said by u0869331, the color design is not so good. Higher contrast texts and bars would make things more reabable
12-15-2014, 12:28 AM
I am a fan of this visualization. At first I felt like I didn't understand what what going on and that the vis was a little hard to grasp. What exactly do each percentage mean? Well, there is a mouse over next to the title which explained exactly what was represented by each percentage; perfect. There is a good deal of information that the creators are trying to represent and I think that they organized the visualization well. For example, filtering the data using an interactive key was an excellent way to separate out regions. This vis is very good at using interaction to explore data in a small space. I will agree that only being able to compare two countries is a drawback to this vis. Likewise, it can be difficult to "re-find" a country if you move your mouse away from the vis. Other than that, I like this visualization.
Thread Closed