Thread Closed 
Week 16: Pain at the Pump
12-14-2014, 03:40 AM
RE: Week 16: Pain at the Pump
First I would like to appreciate Padmashree for a fantastic critique, I completely agree with the post what she has critiqued.

The visualization is completely appealing and perfect, there is no problem with the viz it portrays the actual data in the timeline. Lots of user interactivity is the plus point of this graph.

The iconization of the chart is eye catching, clear and appealing.

The critique's decision to improve the viz is perfect and really appreciated
Find all posts by this user
12-14-2014, 03:58 AM
The visualization makes good use of the parallel coordinates. It provides a lot of information on the gas prices, affordability and income spent on gas for a wide range of countries. We can switch over the countries, then select the gas measuring unit and currency as per our choice. We can also select any data lines.

However, there could have been more interaction like moving the axes, ior some way to compare data for multiple countries at a time.
12-14-2014, 12:14 PM
I really like this visualization. I like the ability to easily select different countries, currencies, gallon or liter, and different quarters; however, being able to combine quarters would be nice. I was interested in seeing how 2013 has compared to 2014 but there is not a good way to do this that I can tell. The rollover elements are a nice touch and the colors used are very appealing. The animation is tastefully done as well. Overall I think this is a great visualization to help the average user to enjoy the data; however, it is also powerful enough for someone researching the subject area to do some in depth analysis.
12-14-2014, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2014 01:50 PM by mathewa.)
Frankly, this is one of the more brilliant visualizations that I've seen all semester. Thanks for saving the best for last!

The interactivity is intuitive and simple. When the left-right arrow is clicked, it changes country. When the up-down arrow is clicked it changes currency, unit of measure or the quarter. When a continent is clicked, it highlights the continent in the same clear color on the graph. Clicking on any line displays that country.

It seems as though I have full access and view control of the entire dataset upon which this vis was build. So good.

The parallel coordinate design works well for this vis. I find that sometimes other parallel coordinates can be overwhelming with many lines and columns. This one is simple. Only a single line connecting the ranks of the various variables. It shows the relationship nicely.

The vis even has help, in case you don't know what the variable means (which I wondered). Also, the vis has callout labeling the lines.

The only gripe I have with this vis is the title: "Pain at the Pump". I understand that they are trying to attract readers with such a title and that the people in some countries have much more difficult time purchasing gas (Pakistan and India, for example). But "Pain" ? I've noticed with many vis throughout the semester it depends on what we use as comparison. I find it much more painful to walk or ride a horse.
12-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Excellent parallel co-ordinates example. I like the color scheme. Padmashree is right, we cannot compare more than two countries at a time. We also cannot swap the axis from one position to another. Filtering based on each continent was also a good idea. I like how there is a description associated with each country. It was good viz over all. Nice choice.
12-14-2014, 03:00 PM
This visualization is an example of parallel coordinates. The attributes displayed are gas price, unaffordability (in terms of portion of a day's wage needed to buy one gallon of gas), and percentage of income spent on gas. The dataset contains values of these three attributes for selected countries.

Since this is a parallel coordinate visualization, the major encoding channel is spatial position. It also uses color (hue) as an encoding channel. Color is used to represent different clusters, clustered by continent.

The interaction of this parallel coordinate visualization is very good. We can highlight a single country and select clusters. Navigations are also provided for users to switch between countries, time, and units.

However, filtering is not provided for this parallel coordinate visualization.

Overall this is a very good visualization, since parallel coordinate is a very effective tool to compare multiple attributes simultaneously.

However, I do have some concern regarding the color channel used here. Since the line segements representing the countries cluster in space at certain regions, it is not easy to tell the actual color. For example, the bottom part of unaffordability. We may solve this issue by expanding the space for the vertical axes.
12-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Pros:
The layout is good -- on the right is any country in a global view, on the
left is elaborations.
In every column on the right, the price lines are scaled in proportion of
the price itself.
Users can click on the small world map to highlight the data in any region.
This is great in that it makes a lot of economic sense.

Cons:
Uses cannot choose which country to look at conveniently. They have to
aimlessly wonder through the lines in the three columns, or click on the
'next' and 'previous' arrows to see if they can happen to meet the country they
are interested. Actually the user cannot know if the country of interest is
involved in the data at all.
After clicking o the world map for a specific continent view, I found no
way to go back to the global view...
12-14-2014, 04:23 PM
The best part of this visualization is the colors used. They pop and it is very easy to see the different bins. The gray color used for non selected countries is also a good choice, easy to see but not intrusive. Like most others have said, there is some left to be desired. The ability to compare two countries would be beneficial. More statistics would also be nice, including fuel taxes, car to population ratios and import/export percentages. I think that these would help make more complete conclusions and analysis.
12-14-2014, 05:36 PM
The color used in this vis work only reflect which continent the country is in. This info helps little in providing the context of the information presented.

I like the fact that this visualization can show the price of gas in different unit. This helps with comparing prices for people from different countries.

Also, adding the ability to compare several countries at once would be nice.
12-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Very cool to see a real-world use of parallel coordinates; I had never heard of the technique before taking this course so it's definitely welcome to see an example in the wild.

I think this visualization's creator did a great job providing interactive elements without overwhelming the user. The options include highlighting a particular country, filtering by an entire region, and adjusting the default highlighted country/units/quarter under examination. Moreover, I noticed that by clicking the item one is hovering over, the text on the left side of the window changes and Tom Randall provides a brief explanation breaking down the situation in that particular country and analyzing how that might affect the three variables he provided coordinates for.

I believe that adding a few more interactive elements like the ones we had to write for our own implementation of this technique (swapping or reversing axes) would help users explore the data without introducing too much extra complexity.
Thread Closed