Thread Closed 
Week 16: Pain at the Pump
12-13-2014, 10:55 AM
RE: Week 16: Pain at the Pump
Nice critique by Padmashree. I loved this visualization.
It gives the insight into three attributes Gas Price, Unaffordability and Income Spent. It shows a vast information in a very efficient manner.
For each country, the relation between three values is highlighted by white lines and link between them is also highlighted.
It has interactivity. On mouse hover, countries are changed and their relative links are also shown. On mouse click, we can select different country. According to the selection, information is changes, Rank of the country is also shown
There is also provision to change country on left top side.

It also contains a small map on left side, from which one can select a region and according to the selection, information of countries in that region is displayed. It is very useful.

Colors used for Visual encoding are also proper. It does not cause confusion and pleasant to eyes. Overall, I liked this visualization.
Find all posts by this user
12-13-2014, 01:09 PM
This a very neat parallel coordinates visualization, the main design aspects that I think contributed in making this parallel coordinate visualization better than other parallel coordinate visualizations are:
1) the connecting lines appear on mouse hover, so the visualization is never cluttered visually
2) and that they only compare three ordinal data axes

I think this visualization was done by someone who has taken a visualization course.
12-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Interesting to see parallel coordinates done outside of class examples. It would be nice to select more than one country for comparison. I also didn't notice a way in which you could easily select a specific country.
12-13-2014, 04:18 PM
This parallel coordinate visualization is informative and very interactive. User can easily select each category and detailed information would be showed. Dash point reveals relationship between two columns. I like the color selected with black background. I agree with critique for the most part. I'd like to add filter function to help user do advance search, and also we could provide a search function to let user select country.
12-13-2014, 05:43 PM
i think it is good visualization. and it is good example for parallel coordinates. The visualization include some interaction. i like it can can switch between currencies. and highlighting a region, values for countries which are not in that region turn grey. But i still think it need to improve features. i think it need to add search box to find country to fast.
12-13-2014, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2014 06:42 PM by u0923385.)
Excellent critique padmashree, I think you are spot on with your points.

I agree that filtering and the ability to select multiple countries would be handy. However, I'm not so sure about the ability to re-order axes. Given that we have so few axes within this visualization, I do not see this being necessary.

Overall, I feel that the both the size and number of axes featured in this dataset helps makes this an effective parallel coordinates visualization.
12-13-2014, 09:26 PM
This is a really informative parallel coordinate to show the relation among the countries' gas prices, unaffordable and income. When click on each countries, the label will show the specific details on each item. And also, there is still a tiny map on the left button. This vis generally is pretty cool.

However, the interaction does not perform well. Except the clicks, there is no inversion, filtering, swapping. And I agree with Padmashree that there is no comparison on this vis. It is also very hard to find a specific country if the user prefer one. What we can do is search one by one in scroller or on the lines in parallel coordinates.
12-13-2014, 09:48 PM
I don't quite like this visualization because it's not conveying enough information in a reasonable amount of time. It has many guidelines listed on the page, which is necessary for the users to efficiently use parallel coordinates, however it could be annoying and drive people away if they do not seriously care about this information. And, it took me much time to find China, I clicked the continent Asia, and roll over each line, China could be easily escaped. I think it would be better if there's a drop box allowing you to select a specific country and then highlight that. Last but not least, United States is highlighted in the image no matter which country is chosen, but when I actually trying to know the figures for US, it doesn't show even if I put mouse directly on that line. All in all, it tells me something, but not very effectively.
12-14-2014, 12:21 AM
The visualization describes oil prices, the affordibility and the income spent in a parallel coordinate setting. I like the choice of parallel coordinates with highlighting by the user. I felt that it was very easy to understand and explore the data. The visualization uses color to encode which country the data was from, which I thought was pretty nifty. I like the fact that the visualization provides a tutorial. I think it could be improved by reducing the amount of text on the left side when a country is selected. The text detracted a bit from the overall vis, although it was informative. If they made bullet points it might have been more effective. I don't want to read a whole paragraph at every data point but a few highlights of the critical ideas would be nice.
12-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Thank you for the critique!

I felt that this was one of the more appealing visualizations that we have seen this semester. I felt that the color channel was very effectively used in terms of color contrast. The number of hues used was very appropriate and easy to keep track off. The multiple views were very helpful giving focus while maintaining context.

The critique about interactivity is insightful. I agree that implementing filtering and aggregation would have been a great addition for analyzing this dataset. Possible including a interactive list of each country name would have been beneficial as well.
Thread Closed