Thread Closed 
Week 15: British History Timeline by BBC
12-08-2014, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 01:22 AM by shobhit6188.)
RE: Week 15: British History Timeline by BBC
This is the best vizualization I have seen. It is a very new idea by the way it tells the information in a story telling way. I do feel since it contains flash element it took time to load. It was really informative and I liked the zooming feature a lot.

This is the best vizualization I have seen. It is a very new idea by the way it tells the information in a story telling way. I do feel since it contains flash element it took time to load. It was really informative and I liked the zooming feature a lot. I really liked the search feature which clearly filter my data.
Find all posts by this user
12-08-2014, 02:53 AM
I liked the visualization a lot. I felt history should be taught like this. Important events are so easy to remember when you put them in a timeline, and show them against a bunch of other events. Interaction and nice visual make it so much fun and I agree 'eyes over memory' helps a lot. Giving a color to particular age, era or revolution and their order makes it so easy to connect what followed or led to what in history.

I totally loved it, I hope to see books to be created in such manner (interactive iBooks) and many more.
12-08-2014, 06:25 AM
I liked this visualization critique. It was different, and that made it hard to compare it to anything, but I think that the way they did it was really good. They left the mini timeline figure which provided me a overview of the timeline, so I knew where I was. This visualization was hard to know what I was supposed to see however. I assume that it just shows all these events in history but I was unsure on how to get a specific event. I really didn't want to traverse the whole chart to find that one. So that was not the most friendly part of this visualization for me anyway.
12-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Likes: color (I like rainbows!), the focus + context scrollbar on the bottom, time periods expand when clicked, the "Take a Journey" guided explorations, lots of interactivity (showing only certain locations, search by keyword or year, scrollbar, zoom, journey).

Dislike: the scrollbar at the bottom is hard to move when you zoom it because it stays the same size, with the scroller getting smaller.
12-12-2014, 05:41 PM
I think the visualization is doing a great job at story telling especially the "Take A journey" feature. The author of the visualization has also provided the "Next Event" button which allows a user to directly move to the next event instead of searching for an event on the timeline which I think was a necessary feature as there are not many events along the entire timeline.
I would have added a background which matches with the information provided instead of maintaining the same background which would made the visualization more effective.
Overall, I think this is a good visualization and succeeds quite well at story telling and the controls are intuitive and very thoughtfully provided by the author.
Thread Closed