The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.12 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Closed 
Week 15: British History Timeline by BBC
12-05-2014, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 01:06 AM by tulasi.)
Week 15: British History Timeline by BBC
The link for the visualization is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive...ndex.shtml

This visualization is showing the temporal data in the British History timeline from 6000B.C to current year 2014. The visualization starts with a title homepage, which automatically redirects to another page, which has exploring button. The x-axis shows the year. We can drag the horizontal bar in the bottom of the graph to go through different ages. The years are grouped with different colors and names, which are historic names given for those years and revolt happened in that span. Hovering mouse at any point in the visualization shoes the year at that point on x-axis with bold letters.
We can see white points in the visualization, which are the events and if we click on any of those points or any where in the graph, it zooms in to that age period and shows those points shows the text explaining that event. We can also see the name given to that age span on the top left corner. If we click on the event text displayed we will be shown more detailed explanation with related web links.
There are Zoom out and Zoom in buttons in the bottom right corner and if we click on zoom in button it will zoom in to the age on the center of x-axis and shows events happened before and after 25 years to that age.
There is Take a Journey button on the bottom right corner, if we click on that button it will display a box which show four fields like Technology, Slavery. If we click on any field, it opens two boxes one with list of events with years and second box connects the year selected in the first box. Once, we select the year then in the background the Timeline automatically moves to that year and zooms in.
There is Search button in the top right corner. Once we enter a word and clicks search it zooms into graph and opens article containing that word in title.
We can view the articles individually for London, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from the dropdown button presented on the top. Upon selecting any of these the visualization automatically changes.

I felt this visualization unique and different from all visualizations I have seen till now.

Pros:

1. They used space very effectively, the entire visualization was managed in the center of page, which eliminated the need to drag page up and down.
2. In the main page of the visualization they explained interactivity in a good way showing a moving image which shows dragging the horizontal bar and an other image zooming features.
3. They made interaction very easy to users, if we click on any point on the graph it will move right or left depending on which part we clicked.
4. There are Next event and previous events displayed on the graph if there are no events in that particular year and if we click on those we will be redirected directly to that event instead of going through all years in between.
5. The colors they have chosen to represent the groups of years is visually appealing.
6. The images on the background are very nice and helpful for users to understand as they are based on that particular era.
7. Overall, the response time of the change in visualization after clicking at various points in different contexts is really fast with out any delay.

Cons:
1. There are some black dots in the graph, I didn’t understand why they were represented.
2. If we click Take a journey button and then if we click on dropdown button on top we cant see Northern Ireland field it is overlapped by the boxes.
3. There are several white dots (events) in a single year for some years and they didn’t specify in which order they are listed from top to bottom.

Improvements:
I felt the visualization is extremely impressive and there are no specific major improvements that are to be done except working on some cons I listed.

Overall I felt this is very interactive and effective visualization with very good color selection and they represented all the information very efficiently in less space and the idea of choosing the drag option of ages is really impressive.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
Week 15: British History Timeline by BBC - tulasi - 12-05-2014 12:58 AM