Thread Closed 
Week 14: Pop Music title word frequency
12-07-2014, 11:13 PM
RE: Week 14: Pop Music title word frequency
First of all, I haven't heard of Pitch Interactive before. It's good to know that here is a company that specializes in data visualization. This visualization was very interesting to me since I'm both a music lover and a data junkie. The choice of word doodle was perfect for this type of data, but I agree with you that the less frequent words being indistinguishable was a bad decision. It was almost impossible for me to tell what the words are after the top 30. A magnifying glass (interactive) would be a great addition to this visualization. And I also agree that color encoding here is not necessary, since it is not encoding any information except for that 'the' is the most frequently used word, which is already obvious from the size of it. This visualization made me realize that word doodle could be so ineffective.
Find all posts by this user
12-07-2014, 11:20 PM
This is an excellent piece of critique. I agree with almost all the points made by the author. This piece of visualization conveys frequency of the usage of words in Billboard chart song titles. For each decade starting 1890 to 2009 we see multiple views. Three channels are used for denoting the word frequency, i.e., size, position and saturation.
This type of visualization seems to work well for highly frequency words but as we move towards the low fequency they become all the more indiscernible. For the low frequency, we cannot distinguish between their size or saturation.
What this visualization lacks is interactivity. There should be hovering effect over the words which should convey more information about it. There should also be a way to filter out different words and there should also be a search feature which will enable the user to the occurrence and frequency of word usages in different decades.
Overall this visualization is not that effective in conveying information about word frequency in different decades.
12-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks Mitch for you input and critique!

Looking over the critique points I agree/support that making the visualization interactive would have produced more meaningful results. I also support the idea of refactoring the color channel encoding. I feel that the effectiveness of the color channel was overshadowed by the size channel. Because of this the color channel lost purpose. Additionally, when scanning the visualization I had difficulty distinguishing between words. I have seen other visualizations use the pipe operator to separate words. In my opinion using a word separator other than white space could have provided more clarity.

Overall I found this visualization a bit on the dull side. The visualization lost further meaning to me as pronouns were included in the dataset.
12-08-2014, 12:02 AM
I did not think this visualization was very effective. To me the purpose of such a visualization would be to find interesting patterns in the billboards or songs. But As one would guess words such as The and You were very prominent but the words that could be interesting were obscured and much smaller. I think it could be improved by removing some of the most common words. This would help all of the other words stand out. Maybe allow the user to filter out words, this might make it even more effective. All in all it is difficult to find patterns or interesting features in.
12-08-2014, 02:23 AM
The idea to convey Pop music title word frequency using word doodles is quite effective.

The color and size used to represent the frequency of word is not good as color and size is not a good distinguishing factor for less frequent words.

There is no mouse hover effect.The visualization lacks interactivity.

The words like the,a,an,in do not convey any information so they could have been removed and data/ink ratio would be better.
12-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Excellent review of the visualization, MitchWest. I would agree with the statements about what does not work. As you you progress down each part of visualization, the size & hue of almost makes the information unusable. The lack of frequency for each word does make for the data being not as usable. The suggestions for improvement including interactivity I also agree with.
12-08-2014, 05:07 PM
I agree with most of the points and critiques. Although I think topic was interesting and it did convey some information. I think it would be best if they put some filtering or maybe removed some article words such as a, an, the and similar. Also some added interactivity would be a bonus like hoovering the mouse showed some frequency count and as such.
12-08-2014, 10:41 PM
I definitely agree with almost all the points that have been discussed so far. The visualization has been neatly critiqued by the author and the comments made by others have been contributing to it. Having seen all the points covered here, I am not going to suggest something different, but would just like to summarize the visualization.

The word doodle or wordle is efficient for catching the user's attraction but in this case without interactivity or details about frequency of words, it kind of defeats the purpose. All in all this visualization goes to show that visualizing text data might not be an easy task for a designer as there are various encoding channels and other aspects which needs to be to be taken into consideration.
12-14-2014, 11:37 PM
This visualization definitely needs some help to be better, using a filter would be great but would that serve the same goal this vis was made for ? I would say we need a searching bar where I could search for a word I want, also the word "night / nights" should be the same and not counted as a different word. Having an option to remove words like "the, a, in, and at ...etc" since these are very common and there are there to help the sentence and not to build it. I wish this was made for all kind of music and I could chose whatever kind of music "rock,pop, reggae, rap...etc" I want to see what's the most common words.
Overall, this visualization is very weak and misses a lot of features, the company could defiantly do a better job if they tried harder.
Thread Closed