Thread Closed 
Week 13: How they close to win
11-23-2014, 10:52 PM
RE: Week 13: How they close to win
This is really interesting piece of visualization. I really liked the interactivity of the the graph . Along with that it is really informative. The thing I feel it could have improved is the fixed Y axis as I am not able to see runner ups for large distance as the distance between them is usually big . It would have been really great if we could have scale the Y axis accordingly.
Find all posts by this user
11-23-2014, 11:15 PM
This was a very engaging and interactive visualization and I liked it for the most part. As others have mentioned scaling in y axis would be beneficial and fixed y-axis is a design defect as in some games distances are way too close and in some you can not see players. Normalization of it would be an real easy job! Generally it looked good and I think achieved its purpose.
11-24-2014, 01:01 AM
This visualization works well on many aspects and I find most of those points have been covered by the previous comments. The key aspects of interactivity and smooth transitions as we change from one sport to another has been excellently presented.

The details regarding the time in which player finished or completed his/her event also provides another dimension of information. The ordered display also gives a nice intuitive feel of the fight for competitions and places. The option for changing the scale from feet to meters ensures that the interpretation of visualization is easier for people across different geographic backgrounds.

Although almost everyone agrees that having constant Y-axis is an issue, I personally feel that is still fine with this visualization as it works
out for most of the events barring a few. Even in those cases mentioned above, we do have a mention of the distance by which the person finishing in subsequent positions were, which makes up for it.

Things which I felt could have been better with this visualization are:
1. Color coding used.
2. The person who won the gold medal is highlighted in yellow. I feel similar highlighting could also be done for the silver and bronze medalists.
11-24-2014, 01:11 AM
The visualization is interactive and visually appealing, the icon on the player shows the type of sport and it is easy for layman to understand which type of sport its is. The tables on right side is good as it is easy to skim through all categories. I agree with sunyangt that the fixed y axis is major defect. In mens 500 meters the visualization is showing only gold winner but not second and third positions, if there is any scaling on y axis depending on the distance for every sport it would have been much better.
11-30-2014, 07:43 PM
interesting visulization.
The interactivity is extremely great. I can change lots of different things. The change of scaling of axis is very interesting.
Also, the change of color is pretty good, too.
12-01-2014, 12:55 PM
The critique is precise and through.

This visualization is basically a collection of bar charts. It uses multiviews to illustrate different types of sports.

The bar chart is tilted to given the impression of the corresponding sports. Since this is simply an affine transformation, the relative space alignment does not change and we still compare the bars easily.

The visualization also uses color encoding. The players won the golden medal are highlighted by a different color representation then the rest players.

The visualization has some chart junk which actually catches the eye of readers. It doesn't divert too much attention.
Thread Closed