Thread Closed 
Week 13: Constellation of Directors and their stars
11-26-2014, 03:21 PM
RE: Week 13: Constellation of Directors and their stars
Excellent critique by the author. Some of the points I would like to highlight are as follows:
1) Excellent use of color, that makes the constellations pop put from the background.
2) The highlighting of the links on mouse over the constellations are excellent and the pop up shows the name of the film along with the actor. On mouse click it takes the user to the IMDB page of the film.
3)Some of the constellations are too cluttered to allow the users a proper view of the links to click.
4)The design of the visualization; to divide it into decades is excellent as it allows the users to get an idea of the time frame when this films were shot.
Find all posts by this user
11-30-2014, 11:50 AM
I like the visualization. In particular, I like the color scheme used and the symmetric pattern maintained in the links. Allowing the viewer to click on the links and directing them to the imdb page is a great way to expand the level of interactivity, Doing the same for the actors and director's nodes would have been great.
I think the tooltip that pops up to show the relation between the node restrict the view of the constellation, and one has to move the mouse away from it to see the whole graph again.
11-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Great critique by the author. Following are some pros and cons about the design:

Pros:
a) Choice of color is great and it makes the constellations stand out.
b) Mouse rollover effect gives the user details of the film along with the actor. Furthermore, on clicking it redirects to the IMDB page for the movie.
c) Large clusters indicate a director casting multiple actors in different films. This indicates the work of a director with different actors.

Cons:
a) The descriptions on the left are random and do not really link to the visualization.
b) The highlighting functionality gets cluttered as the connections get smaller.
11-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Excellent critique Deepeeca, I very much agree with your points.

The decision to layout the node-link diagrams as constellations is an excellent spin on traditional layouts given the nature of the data. However, I think the size of the constellations hinders the effectiveness of the visualization. While the layouts look excellent without interaction, their size is not suitable considering the size of the pop-out. I also had trouble selecting certain links, which may be improved with larger constellations.
12-02-2014, 08:42 AM
I like this visualization and you excellent critique. The color of the visualization has a high against to the background makes the visualization very cool and easy to tell. But when the connections become large, the graphs will look so crowded. And the comments on the left bar doesn't clearly show enough information of the explanation to the connections. Only the stars has the pictures, the directors only are the bold word. The comment in each row is one of the graph, doesn't explain all the graphs of each row.
Thread Closed