Thread Closed 
Week 3: James Bond over the Years
09-13-2014, 06:57 PM
RE: Week 3: James Bond over the Years
In response to several of the replies for the James Bond visualization I agree that the stacked bar chart was a poor design choice. A grouped bar chart would allow for a common comparison of each of the actors with each attribute. However given the visualization, space may have been an issue for the publication so I can understand a possible reason why this was chosen.

The picture icons are considerably big when compared to the data.
Find all posts by this user
09-13-2014, 11:00 PM
This visualization has many visually appealing factors like pictures of actors in x-axis, color hue and ordering of the bars. However,as suggested by many, I think the topic for this visualization could be given as 'James Bond by various actors' rather than 'James Bond over the years' as the bars or not ordered per timeline. The idea here seems to be to order the bars in a decreasing order of the number of movies so as to make it visually appealing. If the visualization has to be represented as lines instead of bars, the stacked format would not be a good idea.
09-14-2014, 12:28 PM
As far as u0923385's suggestion as way of improvement on the "James Bond over the Years" visualization, I am of mixed opinion. Granted, the author of the visualization's choice for using a stacked bar chart appears to be based on three of Tufte's design principles: maximize the data-ink ratio, use multifunctioning elements, & maximize the data density. Since only the six film Bonds are represented, the visualization being a grouped bar chart would stray from these Tufte's design principles to some degree. Here though is the crux, maximizing the data-ink ratio & data density in the stacked bar chart does make for vague precision in the three quantitative attributes portrayed of martinis, conquests, & kills. Did the Brosnan Bond drink over twenty martinis on average? Or under five? Did he have about five conquests or over 20? Maybe a grouped bar chart would not be ideal since it would stray from the aforementioned Tufte design principles. Maybe if the actual numbers for each of the quantitative attributes are superimposed on the each part of the bar that represents it, the clarity & quick comparison would substantially increase, but then the danger of increasing chart junk would grow.

If the author's intent is to demonstrate the comparison in Brosnan as Bond & Craig as Bond with martinis, conquests, & kills measurements, then the author has successfully demonstrated the difference on a high-level inspection as u0923385 stated. Also, the x-axis's use of the actor's head shot does increase the level of excitement & clarity for the data portrayed. Overall, if the reader is not interested in the minutia, & the author's goal is the overall representation of the three Bond average quantitative aspects, then the visualization is definitely successful.
09-14-2014, 10:17 PM
First I would like to appreciate u0923385 for a fantastic visualization, I completely agree with the post what he/she has critiqued.

The graph is completely appealing and perfect to some extent but the problem with the viz is that it should portray the actual data of Kills , conquests and martinis in the bar provided either with numbers or as a percentage of total data.

The color of the bar chart should be more eye catching and appealing.

The critique's decision to use grouped bar chart is perfect and really appreciated.
09-14-2014, 11:24 PM
I agree with the writer of this critique as well with many of the other people in this thread.
Its good to know how the routine events in a Bond movie have changed with different actor but it would have been more better if we could know how these trends have changed over the years. I would've been more impressed if the actors were lined up according to the time that they portrayed the character.
And I have problem deciphering the data with the stacked bar type chart as well. For eg. Daniel Craig has lesser conquests than other actors but he is still in the top based on the sum of other routine activities in a bond movie. Like many have said it would've been better if there were grouped bar chart to represent the different routine activities.
All in all a fun & entertaining visualization Smile
09-15-2014, 11:49 AM
1) I would have liked to see the attributes of kills/conquests/martinis normalized, so that the average Bond would have all three weights in the stacked bar chart equal, or perhaps an equal height bar for each Bond. Then you could identify more clearly which Bond was (proportionately) more of a shooter, lover or drinker. As it is, since the number of kills is the majority of the stacked bar chart for each of the Bonds, it tends to overpower the information on the other two stats.
So for instance, the sourced article wants to emphasize that Brosnan was the most bloodthirsty, Craig the biggest alcholic and Lozenby the most flirty, but it doesn't leap out from the visualization.

2) I'm uncertain on an ordering over time as suggested here - I feel that since there was no clear trend in any of the stats with time, it might not have been the most informative ordering. An ordering in order of cumulative stats isn't the worst one that could've been employed here in my opinion.
09-22-2014, 08:28 AM
This is an interesting visualization and we can make few interesting observations here, which we wouldn't have (probably) by just looking at the data. For example, the large amount of martini used for Daniel Craig.

I agree with u0923385 on the point that stacked bar chart may mislead the observers. For example, the number of kills for Daniel Craig and Sean Connery, which are same but might look at different level in the first look. On the other hand, I also appreciate the choice of colors which actually make this stacked bar chart not look so bad either, and help make comparisons.

Disagreeing with u0923385, I would like to comment that making the bars little wider helps in the visual appeal of the graph (although it does not add any information) by keeping the bars aligned with the actors' photos.

I would have preferred if the actors would have been placed in the chronological order instead of sorted order and a feature to show numbers on mouse hover.
09-23-2014, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 01:08 AM by rahduro.)
I appreciate this visualization because it's kind of very unique in its way of comparing different lead actors in Bond movies in terms of kill, romantic conquests and martinis. And I believe it's true, that every Bond movie can be summarized as a collection of these three things.

The visualization is really simple. And like many others, I also think a grouped bar chart would have been better than the stacked one.

And I am not very sure about the ordering of actors along x-axis, but perhaps the ordering by total number of stats is helping to compare them. And I would argue, that there is an increasing trend of kills in recent bond movies.
09-23-2014, 05:28 PM
(09-22-2014 08:28 AM)Nitin Yadav Wrote:  Disagreeing with u0923385, I would like to comment that making the bars little wider helps in the visual appeal of the graph (although it does not add any information) by keeping the bars aligned with the actors' photos.

That's an interesting point that I didn't consider or even notice! I agree that having the bar widths roughly match the width of the actors head makes it more appealing and justifies the creators use of the wider bars.
Thread Closed