Thread Closed 
Week 12: Who likes whom in the middle east?
11-16-2014, 11:26 PM
RE: Week 12: Who likes whom in the middle east?
I'm very glad you posted a link to the visualization, as I was immediately shocked at the complexity of this graph. The only way that this visualization could succeed is with some sort of interactivity.

As for interactivity, I feel that the mouse-over filtering is very effective, however, as the op critiqued, the color scheme was ineffective. Specifically, when lines were emphasized by mousing over, the saturation of the line colors was too greyed out. It would have been better if the lines being emphasized were much more vivid, while all other lines were even more greyed out.

Despite this, the creators of the visual do fix the ambiguous node line relationships, somewhat, by allowing the user to click and zoom. Showing only these pertinent relationships could have been made better by allowing the user to rearrange the nodes. This would have allowed the user to explore and disambiguate any overlapping or clustered lines.

Other than that, this is a very informative visualization.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Week 12: Who likes whom in the middle east? - theblur05 - 11-16-2014 11:26 PM