Thread Closed 
WEEK 12: How Different Groups Spend Their Day
11-16-2014, 10:21 PM
RE: WEEK 12: How Different Groups Spend Their Day
First off, I have to say I love the amount of interactivity in this stacked chart. That being said, I have to say that charts stacked in the manner in which this one is are not very good for determining actual data values. For example, if you were to quickly glance at the data for noon for the work category of this chart, you'd tend to think that at noon ~70% of Americans are working. This of course is not true, as if you rollover the actual data, you can see that only 28% of Americans are working at noon. This initial determination that at noon 70% of Americans are at work is fueled by the y-axis's labeling, and without further analysis one may not notice that the actual baseline for the curves are not uniform.
The non-uniformity of the baseline leads to further problems even if one knows that the baselines are not uniform, as the distortion of the baseline makes it hard to accurately determine data values.

Luckily, the amount of interactivity in this chart, largely negates all of the negatives mention above. The fact that upon rollover of a category the actual values for the category are displayed, and the fact that you can select each category displaying a bar chart of it's data(with a uniform baseline), completely help minimize all of the issues one could ever have with a stacked chart and as such make this one of the better stacked charts I have ever seen.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: WEEK 12: How Different Groups Spend Their Day - ThatGuyCraig - 11-16-2014 10:21 PM