Thread Closed 
Week 4:Category 4 Hurricane Odile Expected To Make Pass At Baja Peninsula
09-23-2014, 10:34 PM
RE: Week 4:Category 4 Hurricane Odile Expected To Make Pass At Baja Peninsula
I would say that the visualization fits its intended purpose, which is to convey a good amount of detail about the hurricane's path and the associated warnings.
Since the map comes from NOAA, I'd expect the intent to be to convey a lot of information to someone who is very concerned about the path of the hurricane, like local response teams and governments. It's not meant to be 'easy' to look at, like something directed at the general public would be.

The map itself is pretty easy to understand (geography), but the legend takes some looking at to know what's going on. And that's not a bad thing. Once you've read the legend, it's pretty easy to distinguish colors, shapes, letters, and their positions. And the 3 channels don't really compete with each other either. Colors that pop out are used for warnings and watches, or the hurricane start location which is far away enough to not conflict. Shape determines the location of the hurricane, and letters determine the wind speed.

Overall I think it's a very good visualization. Dense, which we're not used to seeing, but good.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Week 4:Category 4 Hurricane Odile Expected To Make Pass At Baja Peninsula - jdunstan - 09-23-2014 10:34 PM