Thread Closed 
Week 15: The Flavor Connection
12-07-2014, 04:18 PM
RE: Week 15: The Flavor Connection
Plenty of good points have already been raised: it seems like most agree with the original assessment that the visualization is appealing from an aesthetic standpoint but ultimately there are not many clear tasks that could be accomplished for any particular audience. A user that is part of the general public will most likely be overwhelmed whereas an analyst wouldn't be able to derive meaningful information due to the fact that the values of interest are encoded with less salient channels (e.g. thickness of a line for number of relationships).

Regardless, I think the interactivity of this visualization was particularly well done. I like how selecting a particular row filtered out most of the relationships while still maintaining context by having a greyed out point for the unrelated food items. Additionally, selecting a row populated the axis on the right with the frequency the items on that row appeared in the underlying database, so once could at the very least determine how often a food is used in recipes in comparison to how many flavors it shares with other foods. I think if the designer went just a little further with the interactive elements (e.g. a box for search queries to find a particular food or group of foods), the visualization would be more usable.

I noticed that there is a link to the original study in the "Help" dialog box, which included some additional figures that encode similar information as well as zip files containing the data they used. I'm definitely going to spend some time exploring it once I've escaped finals week and finally have some time for leisure!
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
Week 15: The Flavor Connection - mcarter - 12-05-2014, 01:08 AM
RE: Week 15: The Flavor Connection - hehe - 12-06-2014, 06:01 PM
RE: Week 15: The Flavor Connection - Matthew Turner - 12-07-2014 04:18 PM
RE: Week 15: The Flavor Connection - citou - 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM