The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.12 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Closed 
Week 13: In Climbing Income Ladder, Location Matters
11-20-2014, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 06:36 PM by holtvg.)
Week 13: In Climbing Income Ladder, Location Matters
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/busine...tters.html

This visualization shows the chance that a child raised in the bottom fifth of the income gap will rise to the top fifth of the income gap when grown up in the United States. The top fifth of the income gap was assumed to be a mid-high salary of over $70k per year at age 35 and $100k per year at age 45. The visualization is very effective in encoding color so it's easy for the viewer to compare income gaps across various locations in the US as well as the highlight interactivity which helps see the percentage in various areas across the states.

The use of a legend helps the viewer determine what each color represents. I was surprised that Salt Lake City and the Vernal area had one of the highest likelihoods of a child climbing into the top income gap. I think some improvements that could be made could be to show the changing income gap over a time frame of several decades as well as some more markers to show the income probabilities in more cities. Judging by this data I don't think it's changed much in the last year as it's from 2013 but you never know.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
Week 13: In Climbing Income Ladder, Location Matters - holtvg - 11-20-2014 06:30 PM