Thread Closed 
Week 13: World Economic Forum
11-30-2014, 08:47 PM
RE: Week 13: World Economic Forum
This is an awesome visualization with cool animation to show user the composition of paper participate into the world Economic Forum. The first thing I like in this vis is that the author use 6 different graph to show the user different aspect of the participants. They has gender, regions, countries, Ages and all of them give us useful information. The second part will be the thoughtful interactive technique that is designed for this vis. It help your explore more detail of the vis.

The only thing that I confuse about is the color that show in this vis. The author don’t point out the meaning of the color and what it represent. You need to go through all the vis then you can understand the meaning of some vis in this visualization
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2014, 01:47 AM
Most of my feelings about this visualization have already been expressed, and I think the visualization is really quite good.

One thing that I didn't like about this visualization is the lack of clustering in the Participants tab. On initial view, the gender categories, as well as the region categories, seem to be randomly distributed. If you click on the color button on this tab (before switching to a different tab), you can't get a sense at all of the distribution of points in each category because they are randomly distributed. Once you switch to a different tab, then the points get clustered based on the new tab selection. Then when you switch back to participants, they are somewhat clustered. However, I was dismayed at first when I initially clicked to the region coloring of the participants tab.

Additionally, I don't even see the point of having a color categorization for region on the participants tab. It is somewhat useful for gender, but without any geographical context on the participants tab, the region coloring aren't really useful. With that said, having the region color selector on the participants tab does give a consistent interface across all of the dot based views.

One solution I would suggest to the area encoded circles on the countries tab would be to color each country with an intensity color map to encode number of participants, rather than encoding that value with area. With the ability to hover to get an exact count, the ability to distinguish between many different intensities is mitigated with the rollover label. I think this, although not ideal, is a better tradeoff to an area encoding that is so occluded it is nearly useless. Also, if they were to stick with area encoding, the size of the circles should scale with the zoom, so you can get some details in areas like Europe, where the overlap is the worst.
12-08-2014, 03:11 AM
It's a collection of different types of popular visualization techniques. Out of all the ones I liked most are participation based on regions, countries, and ages. But I feel it is not very attractive and doesn't represent information to its capacity.
Unlike a few students I don't find the animation very interesting because I believe they are not fluid, and therefore not much effective, rather increases annoyance because of introducing too much delay.
The overlapping bubble chart in country tab looks nice and well thought out and the feature of zooming is helpful.
Thread Closed