CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014
Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - Printable Version

+- CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014 (http://www.eng.utah.edu/~abigelow/bulletinBoard)
+-- Forum: CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design Critiques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 (/showthread.php?tid=96)

Pages: 1 2

Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - u0745839 - 11-18-2014 06:08 PM

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 was a flight that disappeared on 8 March 2014 while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. We do not know the reason of its disappearance. We do not know where it is. And we do not know if there is any survivors. Over six months later, it still remains a deep mystery. Here's a visualization of the information we do know about Flight 370.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/world/what-happened-to-flight-MH370/

Description:
This visualization is a series of slides. Start from the third slide, each slide describes an event on the day it disappeared in a temporal order. On each slide, the time of the event and the description of the event are shown as text, an illustration of the event is shown as a figure, and the position of the event are shown in a map.

Pros:

* It combines different kinds of data( text, map, time, illustrations) in a way that users can percept without any trouble as opposed to other forms of information presentation that separate text and maps and requires user to go back and forth.
* It tells a story which is critical in attracting user's attention.
* Good color set choice.
* It uses different colors in illustrating paths. Orange path is the actual path from plane's transponder before it went missing, and gray one is the projected path with information gathered from other sources.

Cons:

* Does not generalize to other event.
* There's not much interaction we can do with the slides.
* Animating flight path is not necessary.
* Although the gray path has been illustrated as a projected path, its solid line segments and solid dots indicating event points seem too confident. A visualization of all possible path distribution would be better.
* The time interval between slides varies from a couple of minutes to hours. This information is now shown in this visualization.

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - mathewa - 11-23-2014 02:43 PM

With the slides, this is a different visualization than I'm used to viewing.

Overall, I don' t think slides are an effective visualization. The information would be better off with some sort of interaction on the same page. The various pictures are nice but they still could be kept in a one screen vis with a bit better design. Actually this feels more like a story than a visualization (not that stories aren't told in typical vis). However, this one misses some key elements of a true vis.

Part of the problem is comparing items in the vis. If I want to compare slide 6 with something in slide 2, I have to scroll back to find it. Typically, a one - click away comparison would be better. For example, if I wanted to remember the flight path or events that occured.

The color choice is excellent and does paint a picture of oceanic travel. The story does come across in the slides.

Interesting choice of visualization to share, u0745839. What obsessed you to select this one?

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - Nicki Barneck - 11-23-2014 04:18 PM

I think that the information in the visualization is very interesting, but the visualization is a bit weak. It doesn't have a lot of interaction, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I really like the animated flight path and I think a much better and interesting visualization could have been built around that. Perhaps a sort of timeline visualization would have been better. I like the illustrations that are used, they are very engaging.

I agree that the color choice is good and using different colors to illustrate the flight path was a good choice. It would have been nice to have better information on the time the slides were discussing.

Overall, I don't think that this was a very good visualization.

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - u0745839 - 11-23-2014 05:59 PM

(11-23-2014 02:43 PM)mathewa Wrote:  Interesting choice of visualization to share, u0745839. What obsessed you to select this one?

The ultimate objective of visualization is to present data in a way that may help people making decisions. In my opinion, telling a story is a great way of doing this, and this work did a very good job because it engaged people in the fate of the plane. It is very clear of what we know for sure, what is speculative, and what left to be a mystery.

I choose this vis work not only because it is a very effective in storytelling but also an efficient one. Being different than other fancy interactive work, this one is slides based. It is a traditional technique and still being actively used in presenting information. It does not require me to learn the underlying logic before using it.

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - shaoyuspace - 11-23-2014 06:03 PM

i like the visualization. The visualization have a lot of information about the Filght 370. But i think it not a real visulizationl. it is should be slides. i did not find any Interaction function in here. In my opinion, i think it should use Map or time line to show inforamtion about it. and it should add more interaction function fot it.

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - Abhishek - 11-23-2014 06:48 PM

This visualization is more of a story telling through slides. Each slides represent a event with the time and the location of the plane. Though there are very less interactivity, I find the visualization very effective in communicating the events in a chronological order.
However, i believe that this visualization would have same effect even if it was fit into a smaller scale.

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - Derek Nelson - 11-23-2014 08:38 PM

This visualization is very interesting. It does show the data well, in the fact that it doesn't give the reader any reason on what they are taking about. I found that it was really easy to understand what they were talking about. I did feel that they seemed really confident that what they were talking about was the actual event spots. I think that they left a lot of information out which may have been good. Things like the possible paths would have been good. I didn't like slide feature, yes it helped to tell a story but I don't think that it was really easy to remember the previous data, I had to go back and forth. And the graphs were very small, it felt that I had to look for the data, the big image was this plane and it really had nothing to do with the individual. Overall the visualization did a great job at telling the story.

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - padmashree - 11-23-2014 08:46 PM

This is a different kind of visualization than what we have seen on this forum before. I was curious when I read the title and wanted to read more into this. Its a very informative visualization. The small section in the bottom right where the flight of the path is shown as we switch the arrow keys helps us keep track of the flight. Also the slides are effective as to describe the events around the time the flight went missing. This is a good way of representing information about a particular set of events. Will be helpful to somebody who wants to quickly know information regarding an event without spending too much time on it.

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - jdawson - 11-24-2014 12:05 AM

Being a pilot, and having worked on several aviation mishap investigations myself, I was intrigued by the subject line of the visualization. I agree that this is a completely different visualization than what we are accustomed to on this forum. I think the layout of several slides in chronological order help with the understanding of the temporal data. It is definitely supposed to tell a story for the readers enjoyment and not much more. This kind of format would not be very effective for any kind of deep data analysis because the raw data is just not there. Overall it does a good job as a visualization that is just supposed to convey information to the reader purely for enjoyment.

RE: Week 13: What happened to Flight 370 - rahduro - 11-24-2014 04:22 AM

I became curious about this visualization looking at the title. I like everyone else, think this is indeed a very different visualization than what we are used to seeing in this forum.

This looks very much like a story, and does not follow most of the scientific visualization techniques that we have been taught directly. That being said, it serves its purpose quite well.

But, I believe it would be more interesting with a timeline rather than the 'next slide' mode of navigation.