CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014
submit a single pde for the assignment - Printable Version

+- CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014 (http://www.eng.utah.edu/~abigelow/bulletinBoard)
+-- Forum: CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: submit a single pde for the assignment (/showthread.php?tid=71)

submit a single pde for the assignment - yaoyao - 11-03-2014 05:28 PM

Hi, I just got a comment from the TA suggesting me to submit a single pde file for the assignment in order to make it easy to grade, however, I'm not sure how to do it so that this code can run and show all the required features without modifications on the TA's part. Any suggestions?

For example, for the parallel coordinate homework, I submitted a zip file with 3 folders in it, one for statics view, one for the interactive cars, another one for the interactive cameras. So how can I combine them together into a single pde file so once the TA click "run", it will show three separate windows, each for a view? Did it require large amounts of coding?

Thanks!

RE: submit a single pde for the assignment - Hitesh Raju - 11-03-2014 06:19 PM

There are definitely ways where in you can keep a key press and change the source of data for the viz that is already running. And by suggesting to submit a single pde I more specifically wanted students to have all the interactions that they implemented in a single pde because a viz doesn't justify its interactivity if you have to open different window for different interactivity implemented.

RE: submit a single pde for the assignment - yaoyao - 11-04-2014 10:36 AM

Got it. The reason why I have different folders for cars and camera dataset is I used slightly different ways to implement them. The real world meanings of the columns of the two datasets are quite different, so in order to explore the data best, my codes for the two dataset are slightly different. So I can't simply switch the dataset source using key select. Theoretically, I can add lots of" if" commands to make the codes switched as well, but since it's not required by the assignment, I think it's easy for me to put them in different folders. I will try to organize them better next time, but I already submitted the parallel coordinate homework. Am I going to get points off because of this?

RE: submit a single pde for the assignment - Hitesh Raju - 11-04-2014 11:53 AM

No your points won't be cut. Using two different pde for different source of data does make sense. But having different pdes for inverting the axis and a separate pde for clustering the data, etc. is something that I want you all to avoid.

RE: submit a single pde for the assignment - yaoyao - 11-04-2014 06:43 PM

(11-04-2014 11:53 AM)Hitesh Raju Wrote:  No your points won't be cut. Using two different pde for different source of data does make sense. But having different pdes for inverting the axis and a separate pde for clustering the data, etc. is something that I want you all to avoid.

Got it. Thanks for explaining this.