CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014
Week 13: How they close to win - Printable Version

+- CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014 (http://www.eng.utah.edu/~abigelow/bulletinBoard)
+-- Forum: CS-5630/6630 | Visualization | Fall 2014 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design Critiques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Week 13: How they close to win (/showthread.php?tid=103)

Pages: 1 2

Week 13: How they close to win - sunyangt - 11-20-2014 01:41 PM

Original Link:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/02/09/sports/olympics/finish-line.html

This visualization is a distance chart shows result for most games of 2014 Sochi winter Olympics. This chart reflects the first 8 guys’ location when champion reached the destination. You also could click on right side to shows other games result.

The most advantage of this visualization is that shows the distance to finish line for each player. It is easy to compare how large difference strength disparity between one player and others. Consider an example of you know the time use and speed of the each player, it is also hard to images how large difference they are.

Right side tabs are well organized. You could find the game result you want very quickly because of all of the games categorized by this visualization. When you click another game, the data will change and x-axis and y-axis are fixed.

I think fixed y-axis is a major design defect of this chart. In Speed Skating category, it cannot find other players position except champion when you choose long distant speed games like men/women 5000m or 10000m, you also do not know who got the 2nd of game. At meanwhile, men/women 500m Speed Skating chart, every player is so close to each other, it makes reader hard to compare players. In my opinion, this visualization should use dynamic y-axis, the max value should be 8th player’s distance to destination.

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - sheetalg0309 - 11-20-2014 07:34 PM

I agree with the fact that the fixed y-axis is major design defect. For some of the games I just couldn't see the runner-ups. We can convert from Feet to meter but I think it makes no sense. Because even after the change we cannot see the runner-ups images and details. I like how for each game, the player icon/image changes with the game that is being portrayed. Overall, it was a good viz

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - nbertagnolli - 11-21-2014 01:10 PM

I really liked this visualization. It used distance on a fixed axis to represent distance behind the leader of an olympic event. This direct correspondence with one of the most efficient visual encodings worked really well. I liked their use of drawings of the sport with names to help me see both what event it was and what athlete was competing. I agree with both of the above posts. The fixed Y axis proved to be a bit tricky for most of the speed skating events because I couldn't see the participants. However, it was nice for all of the other events because my brain could get accustomed to a particular position on the graph corresponding to an absolute distance. All in all a great visualization!

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - shishir - 11-21-2014 09:30 PM

Nice piece of visualization and critiqued well by sunyangt.

Few of the things that I like about this visualization are

- User can choose the unit of distance
- Interactive elements where on hovering the mouse the name, country and the speed of the athlete gets highlighted
- Change of icon
- arrangement of events at the right hand stand is very organised

Few of the things that could have been improved
- Though it is simple and focuses on the information to be conveyed, The layout could had been a little more interesting.
- Scaling the distance so that few of the other events can be covered

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - yaoyao - 11-23-2014 12:43 PM

This vis has some kind of 3D effect involved. Therefore, it's hard to tell the relative distance between the players. The designer labeled the distance down to each player to overcome this problem, but this will make the y-label useless.

Besides distance, sometimes I'm interested in the time difference as well. It will be helpful if the designer can let user select to display the time difference or distance difference.

As all of you have talked about, the y-label is the main problem need to be fixed.

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - EricL00 - 11-23-2014 06:46 PM

When i first see this visualization, i feel it is insteresting, i like this visualization, for the following reasons:
1, The color of each chart like snow so much.
2, I can change the measuring unit of distance by feet or meters, because not everyone is familiar with every measuring unit, for me, i'm not familiar with feet.
3, I can change different event on the right side.
4, It has the explaination of current event on the left side, above the measuring unit.

But, i donot think it is perfect for the following reasons:
1, The related data of the olympic is missing, i do not know which olympics games it is about.
2, I think this visualization just shows that, when the first player reach the destination, the distance of other players from their current position to the destination, but if the distance of two players is small, but they have different speed, it hard to say, which can reach the destination first.

But in general, i do think it is a good visualization.

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - wgormley - 11-23-2014 07:33 PM

I found myself clicking through all of the events just to see how big the differences were between the three winners. This is a good thing because it means that the visualization allowed for quick data abstraction. But I could not agree more that the fixed y-axis is a major oversight. I understand that visualization creator might have wanted to keep events comparable to each other, and I think that is fine, but provide some interactivity. Default to a certain value to allow that cross event examination to take place, but allow the user to zoom out in order to visualize just how big of a difference there was in finishers. Another approach could have been to use percentages instead of distance values. Overall, an interesting visualization, but could have been much more with some added features.

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - Nitin Yadav - 11-23-2014 07:57 PM

I feel this is one of the very engaging visualizations. Not only this presents the information very clearly but also gives a feeling of the competitiveness of the match by giving an audience view. Few of the things that make this visualization very attractive are:
[1] Use of graphics to give an audience view.
[2] The distance values for each competitor at the right position.
[3] The interactivity to get more information.
[4] The sorted ordering of the competitors.
[5] Distance represented in both units: feet and meter

One thing that I think could have been improved upon is:
[1] Colors are not much utilized here. The players could have been colored as per their countries.

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - Yuedong Zhang - 11-23-2014 09:18 PM

I like the animation of this visualization when it switch between different games. The views change smoothly and the animation also shows the theme of Sochi winter Olympics. When mouse hover on each players, The highlight and time information is also helpful to focus on each individuals and compare their time results.

However, like what sunyangt said, the fixed y axis is a main problem. For some game, the distance between players are too big. If we dynamically change y axis based on their distances, we can show all players in a view. And the x axis with a slope makes it hard to compare the distance when two players are close. But since the players are already sorted, it does not affect that much.

RE: Week 13: How they close to win - shreya - 11-23-2014 10:51 PM

This is an engaging piece of visualization for the following reason -
1) I can change the measuring unit of distance by feet or meters, because not everyone is familiar with every measuring unit, for me, i'm not familiar with feet.
2) I can change different event on the right side.
3) It has the explanation of current event on the left side, above the measuring unit.
4) Highlighting each player's data when the mouse is hovered over a player

Limitations -
1) The y-axis in each graph could have been different to better differentiate between close finishers.
2) Number of players participating in the individual event could have been specified (may be there are only 8 participants in each event)